Routers suck!

al0445

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
ok, here it is. All wireless routers suck. I know. I have 6 sitting in front of me, and none of then work corectly. They all at one point did, but now simply fail after any given amout of time. I know at this point that the claimed 16-32 wireless conections that each unit claims to be able to servce is totaly incorect, its more like 3-4 part time users if your lucky. Oh and no, all 6 of these box's "o" rocks are not Linksys wgr54g's. we thought it prudent to buy the decent gear at the time, but to no avail. heres my house set up:

living room:
WPS611 wireless netgear print server CAT5'ed to: Directv HD-DVR, Sony Location free, and one printer
Wireless-HTPC/Hole house media server
wireless-Compaq f750 US
Wireless-HP DV9000
Wireless-HP DV4

Office:
Surewest ADSL modem-cat5-Router (currently either the WPN811 Mimo, or the Linksys wrv210, they constatly fail and need to be restarted at least once a day.) from the router we have conected a wired Linksys printserver that has 2 usb printers conected to it. its wired cat 5 directly to the router, along with a work station and my main gaming/transcoding rig.

All the routers do the same thing, we buy then, they work for a MAX of 8 months ( the netgear) then start the "router shuffle" of constant restarts, and eventuly we just Un hook evrything but 1 wired machine to the router and a MAX of 3 wireless conections, we can actully watch the router give out if we add Even 1 more machine, wired or wireless.
I have try static Ip's, turning off the DHCP funtion from the routers and used the Modems Built in DHCP server, but the problem never goes away. Is the only way to have more than 3-4 nodes active a Dedicated server? If this is the case, then im just going to give up and cry, not from dificulty in setting up a win2k3 server, but from the YEARS of being lied to by these routers that claim they can issue up to 200 IP's at any one point, but they cant keep my mom online to check her perscriptions.

linuxhero27

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
It sounds like you have way too many things going on and no clear direction of what you want to do.

Start from the ground up.

1) Get the router working fine. Depending on the size of your home, go for either a NetGear Wireless-N router or one of Linksys's higher end N routers.
2) Connect your PCs wirelessly to the router and ensure they function. If not, find out why.
3) Begin connecting all of your other components, one by one, and ensure they function correctly.

Take baby steps. Prioritize.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

I would try to connect them 1 by 1 first and get each unit working. If you have Media Access Control List on you can';t conenct to the router, you need to turn it off, than connect which is easier, than turn on mac list on so only those nodes can connect to your router!