Help Moving All Windows Event Logging off of SSD

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I just recently bought my first brand new SSD..It's an OCZ Vertex 4 256GB and I'm really loving the difference from my old 7200RPM. But owning one of these has created discomfort and a sense of unease like I'm constantly walking on eggshells with this because I've read that the more this thing writes, the more degraded it gets. Now I'm obsessively thinking about ways to stop or limit a good size of writes to the drive that I feel are unimportant. The reason I'm on this mission is because I looked at OCZ toolbox to see details about the drive and I noticed that it has already accumulated over 5 billion writes so far. This thing is a little over a week old!! and not even a quarter filled!! So then I'm looking at my event logs and I'm thinking that every single one of these entries is a small write here, and a small write there, and EVERYWHERE it's writing about every single thing and it just never stops!! Then I tried to move the logs to my D:\ drive by modifying the settings within Group Policy Editor and the 4 major ones did move there, but then there are over a hundred other log categories under Windows and there were no group policy settings for those. So I was hoping for some sort of solution because now I've turned all logging off, but I would rather not. I was inspired to start this thread by another thread regarding clearing all those log files with a simple bat file. That conversation is here http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-378338/delete-all-event-logs-at-once-in-windows-7/ They came up with a .bat file that does clean them all out with one swoop. I am not good with those things and I was hoping that modifying something small we could get those certain files ending in .evtx to be moved to a new location and registered within Windows. Otherwise it's a huge amount of time going through each one to change the location from within the Event Viewer. Plus it's not consistent because some wont move due to permissions and stuff. Does anybody have any suggestions on this because I've looked and looked and can't find a solution. Am I worried about nothing here? I cant find anything good relating to this topic and it seems that if the goal is to limit the writes to the SSD, then those logs are a HUGE factor. Not so much with size, but the constant writing that goes on. Thanks a lot.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
First of all, you are over reacting. I cannot say for sure but I would not bee too worried about all those write immediately after installing an OS.

Here try doing some of the tweaks from this forum. This covers the big things that are unnecessary when using an SSD.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking. [...] p?t=340129

Unless you are using your SSD for a scratch disk (and a high volume writing one) you are not going to come close to wearing out the NAND in your SSD. Don't worry about walking on eggshells any more.

Just as some proof, I am using my 64gb ssd that is 3yrs old now it is still just as fast as the day I bought it. It will take considerably longer to wear out a 256GB SSD than it will a 64GB SSD

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Thanks for that. I'm off to school now, but when I get back I'll check out the link you sent me. You're right and I've decided that it's probably just a case of worrying about nothing. Thanks again for your reply!

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I just got through reading an article about my drive here: http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/ocz-vector-256g-ssd-review-indilinx-barefoot-3-becomes-reality/2/
Where he says this "Although typically, solid state drives might experience a drop in performance at some point, the Vector appears to be similar to only the Intel 520 and maintains steady state performance right from the get go. OCZ’ proprietary advanced flash management also provides for the delivering of up to 20GB host writes per day for five years. This is reflected in the warranty where it is listed at five years or 36.5TB writes, whichever comes first."
So what you said about me over-reacting was way under-stated ;) 20GB per day for 5 years?!! And I was worried about 5 billion writes in one Week?! This issue is closed FOREVER!!