1st Laptop, Needing some help

kiddagoat

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Hello again everyone at Tom's. I have a new question for you all as I am finding a lack of information on the web about an upcoming purchase of mine.

I am looking to buy a laptop for back to school and I would like to know if it would be possible for someone to explain the differences in the following GPUs for me. I am looking to get a laptop with some decent gaming performance and also still provide good portability in a laptop.

The contenders are:
ATI 5650m
ATI 5730m
NV 335m
NV 425m

I have been looking all over the net but cannot get any good reviews at all. I could fork over the cash for a laptop with a 5850 or 5870 but those systems seem to be defeating the purpose of a laptop. They are more desktop replacement.

My desktop is as follows:
AMD Phenom II X3 720BE
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
Crossfire 5770s

So a laptop that would be a good supplement to this desktop. The laptop will be mostly used at school and on my travel's to LANs, grandma's, etc.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
As far as I know (which is only a few..lol), mobility GPUs are usually "weaker" than its desktop twins (same first 2 series number)

Since you have a crossfired 2xHD5770 setup, the closest one is the one you don't want to have since it will defeat a purpose of a laptop, the 58xx series.

The best compromise is to have an ATI HD5730m, the reasons are simple: you already predetermined the nominees and qualifications, phasing out the 58xx. you're also familiar with ATI's products on your desktop. So, as a 1st laptop, accustoming would be a stroll in the park. You'll know better than anyone not to expect a laptop to match up your crossfired desktop PC's muscle power. It should run current games pretty well though, especially the ones dubbed "gaming notebooks".

Hope this helps!