$2,000 budget, watercool included

xtremerunnerars

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
(If you've seen this in another place, this is the last cross-post I plan)

If you can build a good system for under 2k, that's totally fine (and preferred, obviously!) If there's a system to be had for 1200 that it isn't worth spending 1500 instead just to get .1 or so GHz or other marginal things, feel free to point that out and make your case. I'm all ears and will do research on my part.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, photoshop, web browsing, a little video editing, just general power-ish user stuff

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
2000, yes

3) Where do you live?
Austin, TX

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Will need at least: mobo, power supply, graphics card(s), processor, ram, case (looking at the Cosmos S or 1000) and maybe an SSD and sound card.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Probably just the keyboards, software, monitor, and hard drives maybe?
I already have, but can't use some of:
500GB Sata
1TB sata
750 sata
HP LP2475w(ohmygod I love IPS)
XArmor U9BL
Software (OS and others) is covered through my college (Go Hokies!)
Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM DDR2 1gbx2
Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4000+ 2.1GHz
ATI Radeon x1850 256MB
Thermaltake 650W power supply

6) Will you be overclocking?
I would like to

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Currently a 24" HP LP2475w @ 1920x1200, but plan to get a second 1920x1200. All monitors will have DisplayPort and HDMI+DVI if that helps.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Basically, I've got an aging (quickly) PC as you can tell and am wondering if you think it's worth it to build now or just wait until black friday. Ideally, I would get a video card for this current system (weak link on it IMO) that I'll be able to double up on in the final build. If my CPU/RAM is too weak to handle a beefier card, I don't want to do that and I'll just tough it out I guess.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
-Don't care either way (too much) for Intel vs AMD or ATI vs Nvidia. Obviously Crossfire or SLI, might go raid with my HDDs? Idk. I have a firewire card already.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, OS is covered through school (Win7, 32 and 64 bit. I'll probably go 64?)

Few other things:
-Don't want it to sound like a jet engine. I'm a college student, so on top of my mechanical keyboard I'd like it to be a little quieter than a Harrier. This isn't a super super huge requirement since most people go to bed around the same time, but I guess keep it in the back back of your mind.
-I'm not necessarily looking to go bleeding-edge current just for the sake of having the latest and greatest; just want to have a beast that'll last for a long time with nothing more than small upgrades here and there.
-Want good sound; have a pair of Audio Technicas, Ety er-6is, and want to get a good receiver+some bookshelf speakers
-Want to keep watercooling as internal as possible. Also, I think I want to cool the CPU and graphics cards, unless you think the cards will be fine?

If there are any parts you think I should be looking out for in for sale forums that the price likely won't go down much before black friday are, let me know about that too. I'm active on quite a few tech boards. Maybe provide me with an estimated savings if I wait? That would be a huge help too. From past disappointment over black friday+cyber monday deals, I'm thinking about just building 80% of the system now. When prices and deals roll around in the future, maybe I'll double up gpus and add some more ram/a solid state drive.

If you will be overclocking and want a PC that will last a bit longer, then the AMD/ AM3 platform would be a good option(AMD's next-gen CPUs -"Bulldozer" will probably be AM3 compatubel, thus giving you an upgrade option)...
Also the 1055T CPU especially is a good one to consider as it has a good overclocking potential -(But dont expect to hit that speed as you would know that the overclocking potential would vary from chip=to-chip)
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/718960-got-my-1055t.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t-overclocking_4.html#sect0
But if you want a Black Edition, then maybe wait for the 1075T
http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/processors/processors/amds-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-be-listed-and-priced

CASE - Take a look at the Corsair 700D(Yes they are kinda overpriced, but there are many good combos with the Corsair PSUs, so you should get a good deal and these cases are more oriented towards Watercooling)

PSU - Maybe the Corsair's new Gold series ?? Comes with 7 years warranty and efficiency 80+ Gold...
IMO spending good amount on case and PSU is fine as you can reuse these parts in more than 1 build...

xtremerunnerars

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The 1055 seems to keep coming up in recommendations; I think that's the only part I've got locked down so far :)

Case wise, I am looking at the Cosmos S; I'm not a big fan of the HAF or the 700D really.

Thanks for the recommendations though!

Anyone else?

falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
the 1055 isn't that great for gaming, you should stick with an Athlon for now and just buy a bulldozer in a few months when they come out. (They WILL be compatible with AM3) The Athlon isn't a bad CPU so you won't have to suffer right now while waiting for the new CPU.

^ 1055T @ stock is certainly not the best option for gaming, but when overclocked, it certainly matches other CPUs in gaming...
But if you like to wait, then falseg0d's option of going with a X3 for now and later on upgrading is also a good option...

xtremerunnerars

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Seems like the Bulldozer won't be compatible with AM3. Older processors will be compatible with AM3+ boards, but not the other way around.

Got a Hawk 5770 at a great price, so looks like that's my card and I'm AMD+ATI now!

Still taking suggestions, though :)

TRENDING THREADS