9600 gt OC sli

Solution
The unit I linked has more than 26 amps. The listed amperage on the rails is the maximum each rail can give out individually. It has 3 +12v rails that can combine for a total power output of 456w, as I said earlier. Power = Voltage x Current so 456w/12v = 38 amps total. The BP550 also has 3 rails but their maximum power output is 384w/12v = 32 amps.
The video cards will receive power through both the motherboard and the PCIE power connectors so they will both be attached to multiple rails. Either of those PSUs should be alright for SLIed 9600GTs but the one I linked is better both in power output and build quality on top of being cheaper.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Don't do it. The power supply may be the most important piece of hardware in your computer. If you buy a cheap piece of junk, most likely it will burn up and it might take your motherboard, video card etc. with it. I would plan on spending at least $60 to buy a decent power supply. I'd say at least 500W from someone like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Thermaltake, SilverStone, Zalman, Cooler Master, PC Power and Cooling.

This would be a good one for an SLI 9600gt setup

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

If I was you though, Instead of spending another $100 on an outdated 9600gt SLI setup I'd sell the 9600gt you have now and buy an HD 5770. It will be about as fast as your 9600gt SLI setup, it's a directx 11 card, and you can run it on your current power supply. Then down the road you can throw another one in for crossfire.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008

I see, but I think you are looking at the auction listings. If you just look at the buy it now the cheapest one is $52, which is still a good deal. You might be able to get one for $30 if you bid on it, nobody wants 9600gt's anymore, trust me. I sold one dirt cheap and it took me forever. I'd like to sell the other one I have and get a low profile one but I think I'm stuck with it.

Forget about the BP550. Like I have said it is both worse and more expensive than the unit I linked.
The cards will be receiving power both from the motherboard and the PCIE power connectors which I would think all are different rails so don't worry about that.

The unit I linked has more than 26 amps. The listed amperage on the rails is the maximum each rail can give out individually. It has 3 +12v rails that can combine for a total power output of 456w, as I said earlier. Power = Voltage x Current so 456w/12v = 38 amps total. The BP550 also has 3 rails but their maximum power output is 384w/12v = 32 amps.
The video cards will receive power through both the motherboard and the PCIE power connectors so they will both be attached to multiple rails. Either of those PSUs should be alright for SLIed 9600GTs but the one I linked is better both in power output and build quality on top of being cheaper.

Solution

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
BP550- +3.3V@28A, +5V@26A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, +12V3@25A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.5A

Neo Power- +3.3V@23A, +5V@17A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@17A, +12V3@17A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

Am I missing something? The BP550 is way more powerful than the Neo Power. Also the Neo Power is unavailable, and the BP550 got better reviews from more people.

Yes, you are missing how much power the unit can actually provide on the +12v rails. I have stated the numbers repeatedly. You can look them up. The +12v rail is by far the most important rating for a modern PSU. It provides power for most of the major components including the CPU and video card(s).
The BP series is Antecs low end units, the Neo Power series is a notch above that both in build quality and power ratings(which is why a "500w" has more power on the +12v rails than a "550w".) If you are going to choose a PSU based on Neweggs customer ratings I request you at least not suggest others do the same.
As for the availability it was available when I linked it. In place of it I would recommend this one instead;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035
It's not cheaper than the BP550 like the Neo Power was but it is the same price and better(444w on the +12v rails.)

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Okay, I see what you are talking about. The max load rating. I apologize, I was under the impression that the amperage stated on the individual +12v rails was the most important factor in determining power. That's crazy that the BP550 states it has so much more amperage on each rail, but has less combined output. I don't buy components based on user reviews either, as most people don't troubleshoot before they write a bad review. However, if a power supply has that many reviews and such a low number are bad ones, it's safe to say it has a low rate of failure and won't burn your house down while you sleep.

Yeah, the customer ratings can be a good basic guide if there are enough of them for certain components. For something like a PSU it basically = "did it work when i first got it" because the average person wont be able to tell anything more than that. A good thing to keep in mind is that the negative reviews are always over represented. People are MUCH more likely to leave a review if they have something to complain about.

g4kioN1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

Timop

Distinguished

The number of rails is just a difference in design.

Its like buying some thing thats $100, you can use a single $100 bill (single rail) or 5 $20 bills (5-rails).

Some might argue that single-rail designs are more "efficient" or multi-rail designs are "safer", but the difference in quality PSUs are barely noticeable.

As long as the rated output are the same for two high-quality PSUs, they can deliver the same amount of power.

HD5770s only use 110W on max load, so four of them would require a bit less than 440W on the combined 12V rail, in this case the Antec would be more than enough.

But why do you want 4 5770s? Crossfire/SLI past 3 cards scale horribly, you only get a less than 10% gain in most cases.

g4kioN1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
im not trying to run four. i have 1 on its way i will end up adding one more in the future and possibly a third. i've seen 3way crossfire benchmarks for the 5770 and was impressed.

could you show me an example of how someone could use this 850w psu effectively?