Sign in with
Your question

Decrease in performance when transferring many small files

Last response: in Storage
November 28, 2012 8:48:32 PM

Patriot Memory Supersonic Magnum 64 GB flash drive seems to be quite fast according to the specs -
Up to 200MB/s read
Up to 120MB/s write
However, I have read reviews that its performance is drastically reduced when transferring lots of small files. Does this happen with all flash drives? Does the same happen with external USB SSDs?

Thanks!
November 29, 2012 12:30:27 AM

It happens on drives with low small file transfer speeds. Before you buy a drive you must check the specs. When I bought a USB 3.0 stick, I bought the Super Talent Express RC8 for a reason. That reason is because it has the BEST small file transfer rate of all USB drives and is near the top in files any size. SSD's are usually pretty good with small files although my RC8 does beat some of them. The bottom line is you gotta check before you buy. There is no rule that says SSD have good small file transfer rates and no rule that says USB's have bad small file transfer rates. I read reviews and do research for days sometimes weeks before I buy something and that is what you should do or else you waste your money buying something that has bad performance or something you don't want. And as far as external SSD's some do have good small file transfers some don't. The Kingston HyperX Max is pretty good with both sequential and small files. Just do some research and definately check out the Super Talent Express RC8, it is the best flash drive I have ever seen.
m
l
November 30, 2012 8:11:56 PM

ericjohn004 said:
It happens on drives with low small file transfer speeds. Before you buy a drive you must check the specs. When I bought a USB 3.0 stick, I bought the Super Talent Express RC8 for a reason. That reason is because it has the BEST small file transfer rate of all USB drives and is near the top in files any size. SSD's are usually pretty good with small files although my RC8 does beat some of them. The bottom line is you gotta check before you buy. There is no rule that says SSD have good small file transfer rates and no rule that says USB's have bad small file transfer rates. I read reviews and do research for days sometimes weeks before I buy something and that is what you should do or else you waste your money buying something that has bad performance or something you don't want. And as far as external SSD's some do have good small file transfers some don't. The Kingston HyperX Max is pretty good with both sequential and small files. Just do some research and definately check out the Super Talent Express RC8, it is the best flash drive I have ever seen.

Thanks for your response.
I share your opinion regarding doing good research before making a purchase decision. I have been reading reviews and specs of flash drives for a few days now.
I see that most SSDs have much higher transfer rates than flash drives whereas their prices for 64 GB and 128 GB are now almost identical. Wouldn't it be preferable to buy an SSD instead of a 64 or 128 GB flash drive?
m
l
!