When to reformat the memory card?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 31, 2004 4:18:30 AM

What is the consensus?

More about : reformat memory card

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:18:31 AM

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
news:GN1Bd.23$z92.28651@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> What is the consensus?

Right after I get some excellent photos and before I get a chance to
transfer them to the PC.
December 31, 2004 4:18:31 AM

Toomanyputters wrote:
> What is the consensus?

Every time you empty it. It's cleaner & faster. At least that's what I
understand to be best practice.
December 31, 2004 4:18:31 AM

Toomanyputters escribio:

> What is the consensus?

Always; in the camera.

I always format the card in the camera; format marks the card "as new",
without actually erase the previous data (ie, pictures already shot).
It's good also if you lost your copy of the pictures by accident, and
you only format the memory card: there're software to recover the
pictures in a formatted card.

--
chidalgo
Anonymous

Toomanyputters wrote:
> What is the consensus?

I do it every time I transfer the card's contents to my H.D. or to a CD.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:18:32 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:18:43 -0300, in rec.photo.digital chidalgo
<chidalgo@bla.bla.bla> wrote:

>It's good also if you lost your copy of the pictures by accident, and
>you only format the memory card: there're software to recover the
>pictures in a formatted card.

??? No, recovery software can find deleted files just as easily.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
December 31, 2004 4:18:32 AM

Rudy Benner wrote:

> "Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
>
>>What is the consensus?
>>

> Right after I get some excellent photos and before I get a chance to
> transfer them to the PC.

I can see you and I share the same demonic gremlin. :)

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
> What is the consensus?
Every Thursday at 7.15PM (Weather and platform tickets permitting).
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 5:37:13 AM

It doesn't make a lot of difference, easier to format if deleting all. Note
you might not have to reformat a card the first time you use it. If it came
from another camera, your camera will probably ignore existing data thus
reducing available space.
I recently got a new A95 and flash card. I must have forgotten to format it
(I first plugged in my existing A40 card with images to continue numbering
sequence). Anyway, everything worked fine, but I noticed when I plugged the
card into my card reader, the label was Toshiba (this was a Viking card), so
I reformatted when full and label is now canon. Not sure if Toshiba make
Viking cards.
Dave Cohen

"Harvey" <harvey@not.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
>> What is the consensus?
> Every Thursday at 7.15PM (Weather and platform tickets permitting).

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:11:31 AM

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
> What is the consensus?

I usually reformat the card instead of deleting all picture files. It's
faster and because of that I suppose it does less writing on the card and
maybe longer life to my memory card.

Whatever method you use I suppose the memory card will be obsolete before it
stops working;-)

--
Jan Otto
Anonymous

Toomanyputters wrote:
> What is the consensus?

Never.
But if you want to do it, there is little harm done.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 9:03:33 AM

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
> What is the consensus?

This has been discussed at length several times. There are adherents for
formatting vs deleting files and you seldom change an individual's habits.
I format every time after transfering the photos to the computer and I
always format in the camera. To me, it is just a simpler and faster method.
I always take the card out to transfer files but some people swear by the
USB interface to the camera.

Those who do it differently have their reasons and while I respect them, I
don't see myself changing the method I use.

Don Dunlap
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:43:33 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:27:24 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Rudy Benner wrote:
>
>> "Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>What is the consensus?
>>>

>> Right after I get some excellent photos and before I get a chance to
>> transfer them to the PC.
>>

>I can see you and I share the same demonic gremlin. :)

=========
You are also most likely the guys who, in the days of DOS PC
computers, typed "c: format" when you wanted to format a floppy disk
in the A: drive.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:42:28 PM

Toomanyputters wrote:
> What is the consensus?

Consensus? None. Not everyone agrees.

For my part, I do it in the camera, before using the card again.

I take used cards out of the camera and copy the files to two computers,
then put the card into a regular rotation of similar cards (most are
512MB CF). When I need another, I pick one from the other end of the
series, format it in the camera (six rotations and three button presses
on the 20D) and wail away.

Only once did I take advantage of the still-available images on a used
card, but boy did I feel good all over.

When I have an impending project more than one card in size, I may run
the whole lot through the camera for formatting.

--
Frank ess
December 31, 2004 5:54:35 PM

Toomanyputters wrote:

> What is the consensus?

Olympus told me to format the card in the camera everytime after you
transfer the images. Less likelyhood of data corruption was their reason.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Don Dunlap wrote:

> This has been discussed at length several times. There are adherents for
> formatting vs deleting files and you seldom change an individual's habits.
> I format every time after transfering the photos to the computer and I
> always format in the camera. To me, it is just a simpler and faster method.
> I always take the card out to transfer files but some people swear by the
> USB interface to the camera.
>
> Those who do it differently have their reasons and while I respect them, I
> don't see myself changing the method I use.

Bingo. And there are those who feel religious about whether to read from
the camera or from a card reader. All methods have their merits.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

R. Makul wrote:

> You are also most likely the guys who, in the days of DOS PC
> computers, typed "c: format" when you wanted to format a floppy disk
> in the A: drive.

So, ~that's~ why it always took so long... ;^)
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:12:08 PM

Harvey wrote:
> "Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
>> What is the consensus?
> Every Thursday at 7.15PM (Weather and platform tickets permitting).

Darn... that's when the cat uses the 'puter to download his kitty
porn...

On a related note, what's the consensus with Microdrives? I have two
Hitachi 4Gb cards for my Maxxum 7D; I use a USB card reader to schlep
the images to the computer, leaving the originals on the card until it
fills, then I copy the whole card to a temporary folder and dump that to
a DVD-R as a backup. Once successful, I delete all the files on the
card using the computer, on the theory that this saves the camera and
batteries from having to do it.

No problems so far on the three or four card-loads I've shot in the six
weeks I've had these new toys (my fist CF based camera) - but wondering
if I should be doing something differently or additionally...?

Bob ^,,^
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 6:02:14 AM

Bob Harrington wrote:
> Harvey wrote:
>
>>"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>What is the consensus?
>>
>>Every Thursday at 7.15PM (Weather and platform tickets permitting).
>

> Darn... that's when the cat uses the 'puter to download his kitty
> porn...
>
> On a related note, what's the consensus with Microdrives? I have two
> Hitachi 4Gb cards for my Maxxum 7D; I use a USB card reader to schlep
> the images to the computer, leaving the originals on the card until it
> fills, then I copy the whole card to a temporary folder and dump that to
> a DVD-R as a backup. Once successful, I delete all the files on the
> card using the computer, on the theory that this saves the camera and
> batteries from having to do it.
>
> No problems so far on the three or four card-loads I've shot in the six
> weeks I've had these new toys (my fist CF based camera) - but wondering
> if I should be doing something differently or additionally...?
>
> Bob ^,,^

Bob,
It probably doesn't matter unless you plan to use the flash card for
a LONG time, but the process of deleting files requires more writes to
the card than a format. I also delete files on the computer, and have
never had a problem with this practice, but many feel that a format, in
the camera, is a better plan. There are issues with either plan.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 2, 2005 8:39:53 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:55:09 -0600
In message <Xns95D0B64628EFFReplyToken@216.196.97.131>
Posted from Car Picture Collector Extrordinaire
All Things Mopar <usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote:

> Some people I know either personally or via Usenet have
> had trouble getting their camera to read the card after a
> Windoze format... Best let the camera do it. But, first,
> why is it necessary?

Some cameras increment the storage sub-directory number when the
contents reaches 10 files. (Rather stupid, since the roll-over count
should be 126, but I digress.) Formatting the card deletes unused
directories and frees up space.

(There are two subjects here... formatting as a way of deleting
images, and formatting as a way of keeping stray dirs and files from
slowly filling up the card. It's also a way of getting rid of pesky
Apple .ds-store files if you use the card as a virtual disk...heh)

Jeff
January 2, 2005 8:42:28 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:54:35 -0500
In message <33lp3rF43098oU2@individual.net>
Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Toomanyputters wrote:
>
> > What is the consensus?
>
> Olympus told me to format the card in the camera
> everytime after you transfer the images. Less
> likelyhood of data corruption was their reason.

That's a common tech support cop-out, like Microsoft
falling back on "reformat and reinstall" whenever the
user has a serious problem. ;^)

Jeff
January 2, 2005 7:50:36 PM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 05:39:53 GMT
In message <ir1ft01f8rgoapmg1isn4k39fc3fk1lvvb@4ax.com>
I wrote:

> Some cameras increment the storage sub-directory number when the
> contents reaches 10 files.

Ahem... minor correction: 100 files

Jeff
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:01:24 PM

In article <o72ft0pu0c5i4ngcfb3uvk613pfafb4vne@4ax.com>, Confused
<somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote:

> That's a common tech support cop-out, like Microsoft
> falling back on "reformat and reinstall" whenever the
> user has a serious problem. ;^)

In this case it's true, though. I reformat as a method of clearing a
card; it actually takes less time than deleting the images.

It's true in the case of MS support, as well - as least from their
point of view:

I used to have a fried who worked a support desk - 90% of the time he
told callers to reinstall the OS. When I asked why, he told me it
usually solved their porblem - and it if didn't, at least it kept them
busy until after his shift was over.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:19:05 PM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 05:39:53 GMT
> In message <ir1ft01f8rgoapmg1isn4k39fc3fk1lvvb@4ax.com>
> I wrote:
>
>> Some cameras increment the storage sub-directory number when the
>> contents reaches 10 files.
>
> Ahem... minor correction: 100 files
>
> Jeff

How does that equate to formatting the card? Or did you leave off something
that applied to the original poster's question?
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:16:00 AM

Toomanyputters wrote:
> How does that equate to formatting the card? Or did you leave off something
> that applied to the original poster's question?

Prolly doesn't. But Q. has been asked and answered many times in the
last few weeks alone.

--
John McWilliams
January 3, 2005 12:13:38 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:16:00 GMT
In message <TU1Cd.610075$wV.41942@attbi_s54>
John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> Toomanyputters wrote:
> > How does that equate to formatting the card?
> > Or did you leave off something that applied
> > to the original poster's question?

I left out the implied...
"sub-directories are not always deleted
and therefore use up disk space over time"

....when I wrote...
"Formatting the card deletes unused
directories and frees up space."

> Prolly doesn't.

It did.

> But Q. has been asked and answered many times
> in the last few weeks alone.

There are always lots of new users during the
holidays. That brings redundant Q's which I
don't mind at all. If you feel the need to
thin out by complaining why not move to the
new improved elite groups? ;^) <<-- grin

Jeff
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:09:19 PM

Confused wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:16:00 GMT
> In message <TU1Cd.610075$wV.41942@attbi_s54>
> John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

If you feel the need to
> thin out by complaining why not move to the
> new improved elite groups? ;^) <<-- grin

Already subbed and active, although I don't view it as elite in the bad
sense of the wordl

Since the thread was started as a lark, pointing out that the info is
already here in group isn't so much a complaint as information.

--
John McWilliams
January 3, 2005 11:42:09 PM

Confused wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:54:35 -0500
> In message <33lp3rF43098oU2@individual.net>
> Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Toomanyputters wrote:
>>
>> > What is the consensus?
>>
>> Olympus told me to format the card in the camera
>> everytime after you transfer the images. Less
>> likelyhood of data corruption was their reason.
>
> That's a common tech support cop-out,

Actually was a tip in the manual..
--

Stacey
January 4, 2005 3:30:36 AM

Toomanyputters wrote:
> What is the consensus?

seems to be a windows mentality where people just automatically format a
drive rather than just delete the files.

I will only format if I feel the card needs it, also I do use a card
reader so deleting files is quick and simple
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:03:14 AM

>"c: format" when you wanted to format a floppy disk
>> in the A: drive.

c:format does not work.
fdisk does.
!