Sign in with
Your question

Cheap, quiet XBMC build.

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2010 9:06:26 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime in the next month

BUDGET RANGE: As cheap as possible

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Using XBMC with TV, streaming wirelessly or maybe wired from windows based server PC.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, remote control, OS.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ebuyer.com, overclockers.co.uk, or others as long as they are UK based.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United Kingdom

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't mind, but I would like it to be as quiet and small as possible. Alhough I would take a bigger case if it was cheaper than a small one and still quiet.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 720P TV

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to have audio and vision output through HDMI for the TV.
This system is only for using with XBMC and won't need much storage as it will stream from my other PC.
I don't need an optical drive.
I will probably be running XBMC for windows as I'm more familiar with it and I had some problems setting up wireless streaming using the linux version.

Thanks for your help!

More about : cheap quiet xbmc build

August 25, 2010 9:19:15 AM

Hmm ok off Ebuyer - just remove the ODD and it's all good hehe
Related resources
August 25, 2010 9:30:27 AM

^^ Lolz dint refresh, except the mobo, rest are similar...
IMO the SATA 6GB/s wont offer any significant performance improvement over SATA3 GB/s for mechanical drives...But USB3.0 is a good addition though...
August 25, 2010 10:28:48 AM

Excellent, thank you both so much for your help, looks good.

So my next question is, should I just get one of these for £190 and save some money?

Acer Aspire Revo 310]http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att101=68913&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=17&link=ln438e&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1g.c2att92=242&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=2669969291]Acer Aspire Revo 310

My thinking is that I won't need more then the 160GB storage and this seems to do everything else I want (once I put Windows on it).
August 25, 2010 10:38:14 AM

There is still a gulf between an Atom and even dated dual cores like E2xxx and A64 X2 4xxx and many users of Atom systems have expressed sheer frustration once their needs grow out of net/office so it's your call hehe
August 25, 2010 3:35:39 PM

Its a good idea to stick with the windows version, as most AMD motherboards come with AMD/ATI graphics, which XBMC does not support under linux.
!