Slow memory speed?

Jt0542

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hey guys i got 16gb ram 4 x 4 ripjaws series @ 1333 mhz (667mhz)

Other than that spec's in sig i get around 3k on amd overdrive bench

Whats up with that i see people getting faster speeds with less ram??

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Bandwidth =/= capacity man. Benchmarking tests check to see the data rate between the RAM and the CPU, and the more data it can transfer the higher the score. Thus, no matter how big your chips are (1GB, 4GB or 16GB) the thing that influences benchmarking tests most is the raw speed of:

RAM clock
FSB
CPU FSB
RAM Timing

Lower RAM timing (CAS Latency, most important) allows for the CPU to access the RAM quicker, and allows for a much better score. Most RAM kits come with a CL 9 score, meaning the it takes 9 CPU cycles for the CPU to access a specific part of the RAM, and the size of the chip doesn't matter. Thus, something like a Mushkin Silverline chip with a CL 9 rating will be slower than a Corsair Dominator chip with a Cl 7 rating, keeping in mind the FSB, CPU FSB and RAM channels are at the same settings and speeds.

I can beat your 8GB setup with a 4GB setup anyday, no sweat, but keep in mind the NEW CPU's can only now actually use the 1333MHz RAM clock, so overclocking or pushing of that speed is only for synthetic benchmarking.

In short: Don't worry about it.

Jt0542

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
So is 16gb ram faster than 8gb with high freq?

As in will 16gb ram be acually faster even though it gets beat in bench by 8gb with higher freq? or does ram amount not matter?

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Really just depends on what it is used for. If the application in use cannot utilize more than 8Gb's then whichever sticks are faster will perform the task quicker.