Sign in with
Your question
Solved

If I'm using a DVI adatper, will I lose quality?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2010 9:09:49 AM

Will I lose quality on my LED LCD 24"? It only has an HDMI input and a VGA input. My grahic card only has two DVI input. What I want to do is buy an HDMI cable for my monitor and computer. Here are some few questions I had in mind.

1. What is the best way to do this?
2. Should I buy a DVI output and connect that to my monitor and use a DVI cable to connect that to my computer and is there a difference in visual quality when I use an adapter?
3. My monitor supports up to 1080P, does this mean while using the monitor everything will be in 1080P such as idle on windows desktop?

Sorry, im still new to hd stuff. Thanks a lot
P.S resolution im currently running is 1920x1080

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2010 9:38:41 AM

Is it a BenQ V2410 by any chance? I have the V2210 and it only has a VGA and HDMI input too, my card also only has two DVI ports, I have used a DVI to VGA converter, and used a VGA cable. So far the quality seems good, not much of a difference between VGA and HDMI.

1. I don't really think you'll lose performance if you're trying to 'upgrade' the signal from DVI to HDMI, if you get what I'm saying.
2. Don't think there'd be much of a noticeable visual difference. I suggest using a DVI to HDMI adapter then an HDMI cable.
3. Yes if you set it at 1920 x 1080.
July 21, 2010 9:40:50 AM

Oh thanks a lot. Also, I read an article that brand name cables don't really make a difference. Is this true? Also how do you read its specification to tell whether its good or not?
Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 21, 2010 9:46:28 AM

Cables usually dont make a difference, you could buy a gold plated cable, and a normal cheapo and I doubt you could tell the difference in the two.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2010 9:54:07 AM

DVI and HDMI are the same signal type. HDMI, however, also carries audio. There is no signal loss when you use an adapter.

Use a DVI to HDMI adapter on your card and then an HDMI cable.

1080P is a standard for video, not for a computer which tells you that there are 1080 horizontal pixels being refreshed every cycle (60hz on traditional TVs 120hz on newer LCDs). The 1080 tells you the number of pixels the "p" tells you its progressive scan, not interlaced. You will only get 1080p video if the video source is 1080p. So watching a DVD on your computer will not make it HD, the computer will just upconvert the video to 1920x1080.
m
l
July 21, 2010 11:35:52 AM

Best answer selected by funkifresh.
m
l
!