Sign in with
Your question

PSU not suplying enough power?

Last response: in Components
November 12, 2010 8:01:19 PM

Hi,

I just got an Accelero L2 Pro heatsink and fan for my graphic card, the problem is that I had to use a molex adapter that came with the thing, the fan comes with two different connectors, 7v one and 12v one:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_mEflOiOiAiA/TAA30NGehnI/AAAAAAAAA...

You can see in the picture what I'm talking about, to the right you have the cables that come out of the fan and to the right the molex adapter, I have connected it to the 12v connector but I don't notice any difference from the 7v one, infact both run quite slow I think, I have tried different molex with no result and I've read that at 12v the fan is quite noisy, which mine isn't because I think it's running at the slowest speed possible, how can I fix this?

Thanks.

edit: the powersupply is a Powerline F-500+ from Coolbox.

More about : psu suplying power

a c 164 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 12, 2010 8:05:57 PM

download MSI afterburner and set the fan speed manually
November 12, 2010 8:07:25 PM

Forgot to mention that it doesn't work with CCC or speedfan since the fan is not connected to the graphic card or the motherboard, it's connected to a molex, but I'll try msi afterburner just to see.

edit: as expected it doesn't work with msi afterburner, makes no difference to change the fan speed.
Related resources
a c 164 ) Power supply
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 12, 2010 8:26:15 PM

can you hook them up to a fan controller?
November 12, 2010 8:34:38 PM

I haven't got one, I thought of connecting it to a sys_fan slot on the motherboard but I think the 3pin header is slighty different from the ones that go there, I guess if I could connect it there it would be fixed.

I still don't get why the molex isn't supplying 12v to the fan tho, it seems more like 3v or 5v.
a c 144 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 11:39:28 PM

Shuryou said:

I still don't get why the molex isn't supplying 12v to the fan tho, it seems more like 3v or 5v.

WHy do you say that?
November 14, 2010 9:39:30 AM

jsc said:
WHy do you say that?

Mainly because after reading reviews about it they say that it becomes loud at 12v and I see no difference between the 7v option or the 12v neither in the temperature nor the noise level, I might be wrong but I've seen quite a few fans working at 7v and 12v and this one seems to be working very slow compared to those.
!