What do do

G

Hey
I'm going to build a new computer, and i've got 3 options and i'm not sure which option i should do, so i'm looking for some recomendations

option 1 is buying following now

Intel core i5-760 CPU
GeForce GTX 460 1gb GFX
8gb Ram(1600mhz)
P55 motherboard with USB3 & Sata6

using in my Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w PSU for now

upgrading by sometime in January/February to
Corsair HX 650w
and a Noctura NH-d14

Option 2 is

Intel core i5-760 CPU
GeForce GTX 460 1gb GFX
4gb Ram(1600mhz)
Corsaid HX 650w PSU

then by January/February get an additional 4gb ram making it a total of 8gb ram(1600mhz)
and again buy the Noctura NH-d14 CPU cooler

Option 3

Wait till January/February and buy
Intel core i5-760 CPU
GeForce GTX 460 1gb GFX
8gb Ram(1600mhz)
Corsaid HX 650w PSU
Noctura NH-D14 CPU cooler

As far as i can tell with corsairs powersupply calculator i should be able to run the system with my current 480W psu, I assume manufactors aren't important as i haven'tqueit decided which that will be i haven't posted them, but if it is let me know and i'll post the posible "candidates". Hope someone got some recomendations for me, or perhaps some other combination

State budget and where u buying h/w from: a dependable 80+ PSU is the basis of many a stable rig ^^

Also a few things u should know about SATA/USB 3.0 tech and mobos as shown by our very own forums here
USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,2583.html
Also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-sandy-bridge-details-of-the-next-gen/

Short answer: Option 1.

Ram is best bought as a kit. If you want 8gb, it is best to get it as a single kit at the same time. Sometimes the technology makeup of a ram part will change over time. The same part # and specs from the same vendor may differ internally. Some motherboards will be sensitive to this. With a single kit, you will not expose yourself to thode issues.

If your purpose is gaming, then 4gb will be plenty. If you will be doing heavy multitasking, then 8gb may be better. If you will be using a ram loving app like CS4, then get all you can.

If you get 8gb, get a 2 x 4gb kit. The price premium is not great, and you preserve the option to go to 16gb. Bear in mind the caveat above.

The Noctua is a fine cooler, but it is not significantly better than a number of <$40 coolers. I like oem coolers compared to the stock cooler, particularly if you are overclocking.

The 480w psu you have is sufficient for the GTX460. I assume it is operating well now. I see no compelling need to change it out.

My suggested option 4 would be to go 4gb, and get a basic tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan.

If you are willing to wait for Jan/Feb, you should be able to get a "sandy bridge" 32nm quad processor. Specs are unknown, but Intel is not in the business of launching worse performing or non competitive successor products.

If you have the need or the itch, scratch it now with option 4.
Otherwise wait for sandy bridge.

^1 geofelt!

Buy all the RAM at the same time, as a kit. This way you can be sure that you have matching RAM.

Another point to consider is that the best prices in the US is on Black Friday; day after Thanksgiving - Friday, November 26, 2010.