Sign in with
Your question

New System

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2010 1:03:30 PM

Hi,

Im looking to build a new system which i would like to order this week (payday approaches) really stuck as to whether i should build and i5/i7 bases system or an AMD system

I generally play RTS's and MMO's with a bit of Call of Duty inbetween, i'd like a system that will allow me to play games on fairly high resolutions while returning a decent FPS but that also is a good base to build upon in the future (which is what makes me lean a little towards the AMD as AM3 seems to be staying around for a while, while intel are changing their sockets like socks?)

As with any MMO geek, I often have msn messenger, e-mail, skype, TeamSpeak and youtube/random internet open at the same time and would like a system that could manage this without to many problems.

all i have decided on is that I would like to build the system in a CM Storm Scout Case, and already have a 1/2 decent graphics card that will do me for now (real let down on my current system is the old single core processer im running)

Budget is anything up to about £900, looking to order from E-buyer!

Suggestions please :-)

More about : system

August 25, 2010 1:08:14 PM

Incase it makes a huge difference, current games im playing mostly are SC2, WoW and Call of Duty, but want something a bit more future proof that I can upgrade in the future but gives me a decent headstart for now!
August 25, 2010 1:15:15 PM

You'll probably be better ordering from Scan.co.uk they have a lot better customer service and offer a really cheap insurance policy on parts that protects against accidental damage during installation (no quibble exchange).

Anyway, I'd suggest an I5 build mainly because if you're a heavy gamer then the biggest issue is the graphics card second to the CPU and RAM. If you want my advice, see what you can get for your current graphics card and add it to the budget.

Also, what resolution are you playing at, or is a monitor part of this build too?
Related resources
August 25, 2010 2:03:30 PM

Im currently running a Nvidia GTX280 or something similar atm, (i think the GPU is worth more than the rest of my system put together) so without that GPU in that basket also so i can build up in the future using the Mobo, isnt it worth getting a USB3.0/Sata 6gb Mobo?

I also have an OS sorted already, and im playing in 1600x900 atm (using a 20" widescreen monitor using DVI connection)
August 25, 2010 2:08:28 PM

If you don't want to up the GPU then fine but you'll soon find that 280 looking very tired this time next year although that smallish monitor resolution would buy it some time. Also i wouldn't recommend any other OS than Windows 7 64-bit.

And no it isn't worth going up to USB3 and SATA3 at the minute as there aren't any SATA or USB based devices that can fuly saturate the respective bandwidths (unless you're running a massive enterprise sized storage system, then you might saturate). Otherwise, just don't bother or at least don't make a decision based on those two things.
August 25, 2010 2:22:17 PM

yeah, well my thoughts we keep this GPU for the minute with a look to upgrade in 9months time or so just to break up the wallet beating a little! also if i go for a Crossfire/SLi in future, isnt a Micro ATX board going to leave things a bit tight? been a while since ive put a system together (so long that my current pc is still a single core)
August 25, 2010 2:54:34 PM

It will, if you're planning to crossfire or SLI then you'll be best with a full ATX board. That basket i linked was merely a suggestion of parts, you can modify them to how you feel it suits you.

In about 9 months the new ATI Southern Islands cards will be out then (named the 6xxx series probably) and so will most likely be the purchase of choice for then. But we can cross that bridge when we come to it (you appear to be a Nvidia sort of person, my advice is to give ATI a try at the minute, they're really on top of stuff).
August 25, 2010 4:27:46 PM

I don't really hold any brand loyalty, although my Father did to AMD so therefore alot of my build's went that way. The motherboard is one of my weaker knowledge points currently so not sure what is good chipset wise and what should be avoided.
!