Using new SSD as boot drive and old HD as data drive

ikjasmiaf

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hi, so i ordered a new SSD (128 gb) that i want to use as my boot drive (it takes me forever to boot with my HD)
I want to completely wipe my HD and use it as the data drive. But the problem is, I have a 3TB HD and using it as my boot drive currently, i can only use 2 tb of the HD and the rest is unusable "unallocated space."
I have the DP67BGB3 and when i go into the bios I can enable UEFI (i heard that i need that to make my computer be able to recognize and use all 3 tb) But i don't know enough about it.
I already know how to install new os on SSD and make my computer boot off the SSD first in the bios. But then im wondering how to wipe my HDD COMPLETELY and then make it the data drive that I can use ALL 3 TB.
I want to make it so that when installing, everything automatically installs into the 3tb HD instead of the SSD, unless i manually install it on the SSD. (games like BF3, ill prob install into the SSD so the maps load faster)
How would i do it?
i dont need any help for the SSD.
So to sum it up, what i want is to be able to use all 3 TB as a data drive while i use the SSD as the boot drive
Thanks!~
(sorry for the lengthy question)
8 gig ram
i7-2600k
sapphire radeon 7870
128gb SSD
3tb HD
750 watt

elyo

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hi,
using your secondary HDD as a storage is no problem, just format it normally, and use it as storage,

When installing software, you will get a choice of where to install it,
you then choose your HDD manually.

There are ways to make your program files install directly to the hdd instead of the ssd, but that requires some tweaking.

(did this on my old EEE PC back in the day, but it was quite painful if i remember correctly)

I would just keep selecting your HDD when installing software manually.