Sign in with
Your question

4850 selecting too high resolution on startup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2010 2:23:12 PM

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my system a little due to cooling issues. I moved to a new case, far better airflow, and also upgraded my cpu heatsink and fan. While I was at it, I decided to get rid of my old Radeon HD 3650, and put in a 4850 instead. After a few hiccups, everything is working beautifully now when the system is up and running, but there is one persistent issue I have yet to resolve...

Every time I start the system up fresh, the display is all screwed up - choppy, jagged, misaligned. I can just about see well enough to get into Safe Mode, and from there I can adjust the resolution. However, I am getting options for resolutions my monitor does not support. Anyhow, I set it to 1280 x 1024, the max for my monitor, and restart the system. Boots up fine, display is fine, works fine with all programs, games and so on. If I now look at display options, unsupported resolutions are no longer displayed as an option. Next time I start up fresh - same problem.

I believe, although of course I may be wrong, that the card is setting the resolution too high every time the system boots up fresh. I'm looking for a way to either change the default resolution on the card, or lock the resolution for Windows on startup...

Currently the monitor is on a VGA connection. I have ordered a DVI cable to see if this allows EDID from the monitor to sort it out, but have yet to try this...

My system:
580W XPower Light ATX PSU
ECS 7050 m-m v2.0 Motherboard
AMD X2 64 5000+ CPU
Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
4Gb DDR3 Corsair RAM (2 x 2Gb)
500Gb Hitachi SATA HD
160Gb Maxtor SATA HD

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
July 26, 2010 9:51:15 AM

bump - no suggestions yet... :( 
August 1, 2010 10:47:38 AM

Okay, just thought I'd let people know, the issue was resolved by using a DVI cable. It is an older monitor, and I guess it wasn't communicating correctly with the card over a VGA connection. Now I've ensured the input settings on the monitor are set to DVI, and using a DVI cable instead of VGA, I have no problems with the graphics card detecting the maximum resolution for the display, or switching from other resolutions during gaming.
Related resources
August 27, 2010 5:28:31 PM

Ah, nuts. The problem wasn't solved at all. The strange thing is, it worked ok for a few days, although the display would glitch from time to time, and had a hard time changing from one resolution to another, but then I went away for a couple of weeks, and when I came back - it wouldn't work at all.

I tried the original VGA cable and got a picture, but couldn't correct the resolution. The DVI cable wouldn't work at all.

Now I'm stuck. I don't know whether it is bad drivers, a bad video card, a motherboard issue, lack of power to the card, an outdated monitor, or what. I've gone back to using my old 3650, which works perfectly.

Anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Buy Nvidia, perhaps.
August 27, 2010 6:36:12 PM

Did you try both DVI ports?

The PSU isn't great, though I've run a 4850 on worse (I think).

Was this a new install of windows (or a thorough cleaning of drivers when switching cards)?

Try reinstalling the card (to reseat the PCI-E and power adaptors).

Could also try resetting CMOS.

Try the newest drivers from AMD if you get any video at all.

Check that you have the newest (or a fairly new) motherboard BIOS.

After all that (plus all of the other effort you have put into it), I'd say RMA the card. In my opinion, that is part of the troubleshooting process, especially if you don't have a pile of old parts around to swap. If the replacement card is still not working, then we will have to dig deeper.
August 27, 2010 6:37:53 PM

Note, if you don't get video for the boot/POST screens (white text on black) then it is not a driver issue.
August 28, 2010 2:57:39 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply - this problem has been driving me nuts.

Although I realise the PSU isn't the best, I can't imagine it being the root of the problem, since the power draw on startup shouldn't be too high, surely?

Not a clean install, but I removed all prior drivers first, DriverSweeper etc.

I have tried both reinstalling the card and resetting CMOS.

The drivers I used were the most recent available.

There is, however, an update available for my mobo BIOS, which I guess is worth a try - I'll be sure and post if it makes any difference.

Also, thanks for the comment about boot/POST screen - although they are not necessarily displayed in the correct resolution, that is useful to know.

I will try the BIOS update, and if that's no good, I will get the card replaced...

Thanks!
August 28, 2010 4:34:28 PM

Yeah, don't drive yourself crazy over it. Cards are defective now and then. You 3650 still working is good evidence of the card being at fault. My original 4850 was installed in an existing computer and would not even post (would trip the OCP), put my 6800GT back in and it was fine. So I then returned the 4850 and the replacement has worked flawlessly for 2 years (I think it was that long ago).
September 2, 2010 5:14:26 PM

I agree with EXT64, Sounds like a bad card. The DVI should allowed the card to DCC the monitor and the monitor report back to it it's max resolutions as you stated earlier...one the card gets the DCC info and you are into windows assuming your monitor sent the right info back to your card CCC should set your monitor to its "Native" screen res, which would normally be the max res.
!