The only things I am really missing are a wifi card, and a monitor as far as I am concerned (If anyone has good suggestions for either let me know, wifi must have packet injection) . Remember that I have other SATA HDs that will be staying around from the old machine. I am also interested in a CPU Cooler that would fit the mobo/case if anyone has any good ideas.
The computer will be used extensively for a variety of tasks from gaming to software development. Let me know if I have overlooked some details/there are better deals elsewhere. How loud will this video card run does anyone know? Thanks a lot!
1. RAM : any of those are find but the one with extra fan...hmmm...do you have enough room on your case?
2. Crucial C300 vs Kingston V series?...?????....C300 is like riding a harley davidson , while V series is only crawling like a baby.. I thought you would compare Crucial 300 with OCZ Vertex 2.
3. SLI of 2 GTX465s? I am missing the data of your current PSU. Please post it also.
If you need or like a new one, Corsair 850W should do just fine.
4. Wifi? Linksys WMP600N. I am using that one right now. Package injection? Never tried to look that on my wifi card.
5. Fan? Hmmm...I hope someone else can help you with this question. I don't know the dimension of ythe inside of our case.
6. How loud? Hmmm..that one won't disturb me but I don't know if it will disturb you.
7. Programming activities? What kind? You would probably need 8GB for heavy programming.
8. Win 7 x64? Do you have them? if not, do not forget to buy one.
My current PSU is some corsair 550W which was top of the line 4 years ago(i'll upgrade it when I get a second GPU). The OCZ got a lot of bad user reviews so I didn't consider it, especially when the price is so close to the Crucial SSD. I do a variety of programming, but I don't think I will need 8 GBs for anything I program. I have win 7 ultimate (that I got for free at the Microsoft launch event), that i've never been able to install due to the crappiness of my computer
OCZ Vertex 2? No problem with me so far.
Crucial C300 is faster by reading but OCZ Vertex 2 is faster by writting.
Try RAID-0-ing 2 Crucial C300 and you will get almost full 600MB/s
Both of them are good.
what do you guys think the i7 860 vs i7 870, is it worth the extra 30$? Anyone have a good idea for a cpu cooler? I'm thinking i'll get a usb wifi card probably for the time being (at least for packet injection purposes)
If you're deciding between two relatively high-end SSDs right now, you should be looking at either the C300 or the Vertex2 (or other SandForce-1200 SSD - G.Skill, Mushkin, Corsair all make versions using it).
It's my understanding that at the lowest level, most SSDs are built as mock RAID arrays.
If you're asking about the differences in speed as the drive size changes, I believe that's all attributed to the controller. The SandForce-1200 drives compress data, making them perform similarly, no matter what size drive you buy...60 GB, 120 GB, whatever. Other SSDs use a different write mechanism that is affected by the size of the drive.