Am I reading this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
So i decided to splurge and upgrade to a phenom II X6 1055t from my lowly Athlon II X4 630.

My X4 was using the stock cooler and AS5 and was OCed to 3.25 Ghz. I idles around 29-30C and Prime96 took me to around 50-51C.

My new X6, OCed to the same 3.25 Ghz with the AS5 still not fully cured idles at around 22c and Prime95 doesn't break 50C.

I am using the stock cooler that came with my X6, which is about the twice the size the one that came with my athlon II, and with quad heat pipes, but that contribute to the low temps... is core temp broken? or does the X6 really run this cool?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
The newer process probably helps to disperse heat/ use less power. Plus the more surface area the chip has the more heat will leave it. The heatsink is also bigger, and at idle the extra cores use next to nothing on power( bigger heatsink with almost the same power=cooler idle temp), the load temps are what count and those are close to the same.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
My case temps were around 19C (ambient is about the same, its winter :p) and proc at around 21 full idle. While doing some moderate gaming (WoW), it goes up to the low 30s. These temps are about on par wit my old Athlon64 X2 2.4GHz (stock no OC).

I am not complaining, just making sure core temp is reading the cpu temps correctly :p

And the stock fan is very nice, its the non AVC copper heat pipe cooler, it has about 10-15% more aluminum mass (wider) than the AVC one and the pipes are thicker too. Its no H212, but with these temps, who cares!

Pic off the cooler I got http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/images/phenom-2-cnq/cooler-125w.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.