Asus P8P67-M, black screen, not booting up

yzhang6401

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
So I recently put together a computer, and it doesn't seem to work.
I'm using GSKILL Sniper DD3 1600 ram. I understand that the ram isn't compatible unless I overclocked it. When I first put in my two sticks of ram, I noticed that my DRAM LED light is red. I proceeded to do the mem ok button to auto configure the correct settings. It still is red, so I take out one of the ram sticks and the light disappeared. I tried swapping ram sticks and it became red again. I would assume one of my ram sticks went bad, so I just ended up using that one ram stick. I plugged it in to my monitor and turned on my computer.

The computer turns on, all the fans are spinning, and the DRAM LED is not lit.
I tried plugging in to my monitor and my monitor says no signal is found.
I look at my graphics card, and the fan is spinning ( I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 560 )
I tried swapping my graphics card with my friend's graphics card that works.
No luck, still black screen.
(There's nothing wrong with the monitor too)

So.. I don't know if it could be a memory problem STILL or a display problem now..
When I plug in a keyboard and mouse in to the usb, it all lights up and works.
Like if I pressed the scroll lock or number lock key, it lights up like it should.
Same goes with my mouse...

I tried plugging in audio and messing with my keyboard but I didn't seem to be able to hear any beeping noises or anything. At one point, my keyboard started to lag a little, due to the lights lagging when I pressed number lock and stuff.

I'm also using a 750W Corsair power supply, with an Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
(Sorry for the long read)

-NOTE This is a new build-
Thanks to anyone who can help :(

Does your mobo have a speaker connected to it? This speaker would be different than the desktop/surround sound speakers, and would look similar to this:
cd41_1.JPG

If not, get one. If you do, take out the RAM stick that's in now, leave both out, and try booting again. You should hear beep error codes. If this is true, then the mobo DIMM slots are ok. If this is false, the mobo may be bad.

Another suggestion is to breadboard your system. This is basically building your system outside of the case. Click on the link in my signature for more tips, including a link to jsc's guide to breadboarding.

Good luck.

RedFlameOut

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

I just ran through this with my son's LAN party PC - GTX 560Ti, this motherboard, 4x2 GB G-Skill memory, core I5. Same symptoms with the DRAM LED not lit. It did finally light up after testing but it took a lot of reboots with various memory configurations before it did.

Even without the memory light on, it is likely the memory. In my son's PC, pulling the memory and going with Adata memory from my main system (ASUS P8P67 Pro) worked. If you don't get a beep with a speaker but it won't boot and all the fans are on, it is most likely the memory.

Try holding down the MemOk! button to see if the DRAM LED starts blinking. If it does let it go and it should reboot and then the DRAM LED will flash at various rates, faster and faster. If it works, it will reboot one last time and come up with the DRAM LED out and boot normally.

If it does not work, try swapping memory. Make sure the memory is on the ASUS compatibility list.

In my son's case, the PC worked fine. But after a friend borrowed the memory to test his system, it would no longer boot. The memory sticks work find on other boards (I tested).

I get the distinct feeling this one motherboards (P8P67-M Pro and P8P67-M) is very picky about memory. The sticks my son had before were not on ASUS's list. The new ones are.