Can I use 2 psus in one rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, I'm really stretching my 500w to the limit... Can I also use a 350w in unison with my 500w? like plug the gpu into the 350w and the rest into the 500?

Solution
At least you've learned (relatively cheaply I might add) the capricious nature of electricity,
without personal injury or burning the house to the ground :)
GL with the Rma man,
Moto
Technically yes,
Practically why?

just go to a power calculator site and check out what you require, then buy a new psu that meets or exceeds that recommendation.
Do you have space on your case for 2xpsu's?
think of the extra heat your going to generate, plus your going to have to rig the secondary psu's switch to the main psu so it comes on at the same time, lots of hassle and engineering to consider
Thats not a 'no,dont do it', just a pointer that its not very practical

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
yeah I was pretty scared when I went to turn it on... It seems okay... but I don't like the look if this... there's stereo cable connecting the second one to the mobo... and It's just messy... functional, but messy... I'm ordering a 750w as soon as possible

Just in case...

fire-extinguisher.jpeg

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
mmmhmm... it was only hooked up the the 5850 and my fan, and both are still on the 30 day return policy... and then the second psu surged... im just glad i didnt hook it up to the mobo or the cpu!

Status
Not open for further replies.