System build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2010 2:42:36 PM

Ok, was advising on a new systems build, heres what I can up with, THIS combo with THIS graphics card and some PNY ram for a grand total of 1031.95, Keeping in mind theres about 80$ or more worth of rebates to mail in.

System Specifications:

Case: Thermaltake VL90001W2Z
Motherboard: MSI P55-GD80
Power-supply: OCZ Technology OCZ700SXS2 ~ 700w 80+ certified PSU
Processor: Intel BX80605I5750 ~ Core i5
Hard-Drive: Seagate ST31500341AS ~ 1TB HDD
DVD-Combo Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98
Ram: PNY XLR8 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
Graphics: MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

Thats all for the above stated $1031.95(haven't calculated in any rebates)

Can anyone else do better? / Show me!

EDIT: I Calculated the rebates to be worth $80, bringing the overall system cost down to $951.95

More about : system build

a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2010 3:41:29 PM

I like that first combo with the i5, although I'd swap out that video card. The 5850 is a nice card - but the GTX 460s have similar performance for quite a bit less. Also, if you plan on going SLI / crossfire at some point (which I believe that motherboard supports), 460s in SLI have some super nice scaling. Here's a link or two:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_gtx460_so...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-...
Score
Related resources
August 25, 2010 8:28:00 PM

The processor is definitely better, But it doesn't however have a Xfired 5830 setup.

Motherboard supports SLi, But then getting a 460 would include a PSU swap-out.... Possibly??

I Figured this configuration was relatively flexible, atleast for graphics and OC, its intel so the processor part was never really gonna be THAT flexible
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2010 8:48:25 PM

That 965 looks better since it has a much higher clock speed, however that i5 processor should give you better performance in most games, even at stock speed. Plus, you can overclock it very easily to 3.4ghz and higher if you want.

Getting a 460, or even TWO 460s still would not require you to change that power supply. 700w will be plenty for what you're doing there. I'm not sure if that was the question...
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2010 8:51:58 PM

jasonw223 said:
That 965 looks better since it has a much higher clock speed, however that i5 processor should give you better performance in most games, even at stock speed.

Arguable.

Phenom II X4 955 vs. i5-750

Caveat: GPU is much more important at most normal resolutions than CPU. In other applications, Intel's hyperthreading and turbo boost can provide more of an edge, but for gaming, CPU is still less important than an appropriately sized graphics card.
Score
August 25, 2010 8:56:44 PM

That's not very comprehensive.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2010 8:57:56 PM

sp12 said:
That's not very comprehensive.

Agreed, but unfortunately, I don't have a link to a better overall comparison of the two processors. If you can find one, I would be very interested in seeing it.

It's quite true that in individual games, the i5-760 will perform better than an 955/965. On many games, however, the difference is negligible. Just because the i5 is better in some games doesn't mean that it's always the best choice. For $50-60 more (plus the difference in motherboard cost), you may get better performance in the games you're interested in. Or you might just be paying more for nothing.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that AMD is necessarily the right choice. I'm arguing the blanket statement that the i5-760 is always the better choice or is the only choice.

If you are set on SLI, then the answer is clearly the i5. If you are going with ATI cards, then AMD vs. Intel is neutral, but you might consider going AMD for the enhanced features of one of the 800-series chipsets. Or you might choose the i5 for another reason. I just don't think that arguing i5 > 955/965 based on gaming performance alone has merit.
Score
August 25, 2010 10:14:58 PM

coldsleep said:
Arguable.

Phenom II X4 955 vs. i5-750

What that chart doesn't take into account is overclocking. Considering the i5 is slightly better at 2.66ghz vs 3.2ghz if you put both up to 3.6-3.8ghz the i5 will simply destroy the Phenom II for gaming or otherwise.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2010 10:21:28 PM

jyjjy said:
What that chart doesn't take into account is overclocking. Considering the i5 is slightly better at 2.66ghz vs 3.2ghz if you put both up to 3.6-3.8ghz the i5 will simply destroy the Phenom II for gaming or otherwise.

Overclocking shouldn't be taken into account, as each chip performs differently. You could get a chip that will overclock to 4.0 GHz, or you could get one that will only get to 3.4 GHz.

And of course, the i5 will self-overclock with its turbo boost feature. I haven't seen an explanation of their testing methodology, but I can't say for certain that they turned it off. It's much more likely that they left it on, in order to display the differences between single-threaded apps & multi-threaded apps.
Score
August 25, 2010 11:19:30 PM

Yeah, I realized that i5-750 had been mentioned quite a few times as being better than the 955/965 and In this build I was willing to sacrifice a bit of money(theoretically) to get the better CPU to start off with, Too bad the 920's/930's are just out of the $1000 build range, unless you have no/an extremely crappy graphics card.

the 5850's better than the 460, and seeing as its a $1000 build and I'm not meant to be anticipating anymore money being spent on it I went with the best with what I had, not the best with what I could have down the track...

EDIT: Does anyone have Improvements that can be made on this build within the $1000 limitation(I suppose this is now considered after rebates seeing as I've already surpassed the $1k mark before rebates)
Score

Best solution

August 25, 2010 11:57:06 PM

coldsleep said:
Overclocking shouldn't be taken into account, as each chip performs differently. You could get a chip that will overclock to 4.0 GHz, or you could get one that will only get to 3.4 GHz.

It most certainly should be taken into account unless no overclocking is to take place. The variance between chips is really not as large you seem to think. Of course occasionally people will get a poor chip for overclocking but using that to completely ignore that the vast majority of certain kind of processor can reach a certain speed because of it is very inappropriate imo.
As for turbo boost in tasks that use more than 2 cores the boost amounts to just 133mhz which is basically insignificant compared to a real OC.
That said you are correct that for gaming the difference between these two processors isn't that large. Both are quite capable for current games and unlikely to be the limiting factor in a way that matters except in the most CPU intensive games with a quite high end graphics setup. It is other tasks where the i5 tends to have meaningful advantage but that advantage is often quite large, especially when an OC is taken into account.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2010 1:29:36 AM

The 5850 is overpriced right now. Go for a 470 if you don't want to go with 460s.
Score
August 27, 2010 9:55:34 AM

Seeing as no-one is going to actually contribute to this thread I'll best answer it and let whomever feels welcome close it.
Score
August 27, 2010 9:56:46 AM

Best answer selected by decode.
Score
February 23, 2012 6:19:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!