Determining a Bottleneck

yomammassson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I have recently decided to slowly buy component for a new computer that I am going to build and I want to know why my system cannot handle games like Bad Company 2 on highest settings. The reason is that the first new component i want to buy would be a graphics card, and if my cpu is causing the bottleneck, there would be no point. So here are my specs:

BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50 GHz

8.00 GB RAM

Win 7 OS

Solution
Your quad core can support stronger graphics, but at stock speed will be something of a limitation. Your CPU is not junk at all, but there is potential there for more if you wish to go that route. If you are not interested in Overclocking at all, then the potential is being limited.

You can't play BC2 at max settings because it is a GPU heavy title, and you GPU is a few generations old.

If you OC'd the quadcore to 3.2ghz or higher, your CPU limitation would be drastically reduced, and there would be less concern over wasting money on an overpowered GPU. At stock speeds, I probably wouldn't suggest much more than an Nvidia 460 or ATI 5830. With a modest OC, you could probably see the benefits of most any single GPU card.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Your quad core can support stronger graphics, but at stock speed will be something of a limitation. Your CPU is not junk at all, but there is potential there for more if you wish to go that route. If you are not interested in Overclocking at all, then the potential is being limited.

You can't play BC2 at max settings because it is a GPU heavy title, and you GPU is a few generations old.

If you OC'd the quadcore to 3.2ghz or higher, your CPU limitation would be drastically reduced, and there would be less concern over wasting money on an overpowered GPU. At stock speeds, I probably wouldn't suggest much more than an Nvidia 460 or ATI 5830. With a modest OC, you could probably see the benefits of most any single GPU card.

Solution

yomammassson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I have actually been looking at the GTX 460 for a couple days now and that was the one i was going to get. I wouls Overclock, but I do not know how. I have heard it is very complicated. I know this is hard to tell, but in my CPU gets OC'd would you think that it would have enough power to handle games to come? Do you think I should just get a heatsink for this cpu and OC it instead of saving up for a new mobo and an i7 930. Also, if I were to buy an i7, would the heatsink of my Q8300 work on it?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Most quality Heatsinks have mounting hardware for all modern types of CPUs. An investment in a quality HSF can usually be transferred to new systems. If a new socket type gets released, at the very least one can usually buy just the new mounting hardware to continue using the HSF.

Overclocking isn't that complex once the basics are learned. The learning curve can be steep, though. If you don't want to invest the time to learn how to do it properly and safely, then the i7 route would probably be a good way to go. It is such a powerful CPU, that even 2 years after its release there is no competitor. I can't imagine that gaming will make it obsolete anytime in the near future.

A stock speed i7 has been proven to be bottleneck free on any single card currently available.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Browse the Overclocking section at Tom's here. Beware, before one can get some good help they have to show a modicum of drive towards learning themselves. Outside of that, try google to find other people who have overclocked your CPU to get an idea about what you need to do.

No two chips are the same, and as such everyone will have a different OC experience even across the same hardware. Proper stability testing as well as attention to voltage and thermal limits are essential in determining your own comfortable overclock.

An easy recommendation for a cheap, but very effective HSF is the 212+ from cooler master. The egg has jacked the price on it to over $50, but it should not be difficult to find it for around $30.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
CPU limitations only affect Framerates. If you are CPU limited in general with the 460, you will have processing power to crank up the details/AA/Tessellation, as there will be less frames to perform the processing on.

I always keep Vsync on for this reason (like an artificial CPU limitation) so my GPU isn't spinning its wheels at 100% load in order to render extra FPS over 60. Just an example of how a CPU limitation isn't always a crippling situation.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Vsync can act in different ways. If I am playing a game that will run consistently above 60fps, the enabling Vsync saves the work that the GPU is doing in rendering those extra frames, and it will run at a steady 60fps.

If I am running a game that will drop below 45fps, Vsync can be a bummer, as it will often (though not always) automatically drop to a steady 30fps even though without Vsync, the title might never drop to 30fps. I can feel the difference when this happens, and it is distracting, even through the FPS remains playable.

CPU limitations are pretty static. While a GPU limitation can be resolved by lower graphics settings in an attempt to keep solid framerates, a CPU that can't run decent FPS simply won't be able to do better without overclocking or upgrading.

As for how much of a limitation the CPU can incur, that depends completely on the title being played. The heavier the dependence on the CPU, the more it will be limited by a slower CPU (GTAIV, Prototype, Dirt 2 for just a few examples).

If you were to buy a 212+, and learn to OC safely, you can find out for yourself if your CPU is overly limiting. This is a pretty low risk purchase, as you don't lose the investment should you find your current CPU incapable of meeting your expectations. If you are willing to invest in a new mobo+cpu to resolve this issue anyway, the it can't hurt to try save some cash, unless your time is too valuable to take on learning to overclock (not an unreasonable situation).

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Sorry, I forgot to mention, in case you weren't aware, that Vsync is generally used to reduce "tearing" a graphical glitch that occurs when the video card is sending framerates to the monitor that do not sync up with the monitor's refresh rate.

The result can be a visible horizontal divide which seems to mix two different frames (like the top half of the screen is one frame ahead of the bottom half for a second.

I think you have about three days before your account goes inactive but in the meantime check your junk mail as it may fall foul of the filter for some reason.

yomammassson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I resent it and fixed it.
Thanx anyway

I'd definitely go for the GTX 460 over an SLI 9800GT setup. The GTX 460 would probably perform better, AND supports newer technologies like DX11. A single GTX 460 performs pretty darn well for the price point right now.

As for the CPU, the 2.5Ghz stock speed will ultimately be a limit with some game titles, as JofaMang already mentioned. If you're willing to OverClock, that can be overcome fairly easily if you have a good (aftermarket) CPU Cooler. A speed of 3.2Ghz seems to be a pretty good point to shoot for. :)

You may want to identify the specs on your Power Supply first though, just to make sure it'll cut the juice for the GTX 460 :)