Ram Question

chilly_willy_73

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
hey there my name is Will,

i had a few questions and would ask for your assistance if i may?

i have a P4M890-M7 SE Bio-Star Mobo and need assistance in finding what is going on. My Mobo can read maximum of 4gb ram and hold 2 sticks of ram. i have 2 2gb sticks (= 4gb ram) and both are same pc 4200 ddr2 sdram. my pc reads 4gb but only uses 2.68gb ram (graphics card run 1 gb of ram.) im loosing about 1gb somewhere and need to find whats going on with my machine.since Video Ram is seperate from System ram (or at least geeksquad from best buy told me) i should be reading about 3.35gb of ram or higher (since windows uses some ram to operate). i will post a picture of what my pc says to give an idea what is happening.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2my0dv&s=7

need anything else ill do what i can to help resolve this.

chilly_willy_73

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

found VGA Share Memory Size i disabled it and it still shows 2.68gb ram

also was wondering if Maximum Payload size for Pci Express is ok set at 4096 bytes?

deadcells

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
OK... if you're up for some troubleshooting then remove your GC and connect the monitor directly to your MB's VGA output. Once you boot you can check the usable RAM and see if the problem is caused by the GC or something else.

I've seen both scenarios before... where the GC reduces the amount of usable RAM and where it does not. I'm not sure when each occurs but this is just to help rule out all possibilities.

I'm downloading your MB's manual now to see if i can spot any other problem.

deadcells

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
can't see anything in the bios settings that may cause such a BIG loss in usable RAM. The only thing I can think of is the system (32bit ?) reserving the memory space for the 1GB on your GC card... and the rest for other operations. I know geeksquad told you otherwise...

Sorry i could not be of more help.