Sign in with
Your question

IBUYPOWER Lexa S AMD Dragon Special Edition Gaming Towe

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2010 8:21:36 AM

Hey all,

I've been looking into buying a new computer recently, and stumbled across this computer at NewEgg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The iBUYPOWER Lexa S AMD Dragon Special Edition Gaming Tower has me intrigued, but I cannot seem to find out much about it (and I know next to nothing about cases). Ibuypower itself does not use this tower anymore which is a disappointment. Has anyone used it/researched it and can tell me if its a good case overall and for future expansion(will want to add a network card most likely, so need to know if there's room for it and other stuff later on)? Airflow/liquid cooling good? Easy to get into and move around in? Is there a Case website where this one might be talked about? Sorry if its been talked about in other posts, searched and didn't find anything.

I know this is not the right forum for it, but I'm also looking for comments on the computer as a whole-I'm hoping it will last a few years, so want to make sure its a good computer for what I'm looking for first. I will use it for gaming first, internet/web second, and watching tv episodes third. I'm not a hardcore gamer so don't need top of the line stuff/overclocking, etc. But I do want to play MMO's and games like Civ 5 with as little lag/graphical glitches as possible. Sound doesn't matter to me. I have a wireless-N network here at home (DLink) that I will need to be able to connect to. Will need lots of USB ports as well.

Thanks for any comments/advice here,
Dan
November 13, 2010 8:25:54 AM

Oh and I'd like to know what motherboard is in it too please?
m
l
November 13, 2010 5:39:12 PM

The pc has an included ethernet card so that you can hard wire it into your home network. if you end up wanting to connect it wirelessly you will need to install a wireless card.

I don't have any personal experience with Ibuypower, but i know that you would be paying quite the premium for a somewhat mediocre machine vs building your own.

additionally it does not indicate what brand psu is in the unit... which leads me to believe that your not going to get a quality part.

to give you an idea I just built a pc for my dad, similar to this (quad rather than hexa core, with a corsair power supply, and a 5770 graphics card (much better than the 5750) for about 700$. I would be willing to bet that you could probably do even better.

Take a read through this. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended...

with that said........

the 5750 would be enough to drive the games your talking about on mid to high settings on a 1680 x 1050 monitor.....

so if you don't have the time or inclination to build your own this is probably a pretty good comp.

whatever you decide... best of luck to you.
m
l
November 13, 2010 5:44:17 PM

additionally.... there is no reason for this unit to be liquid cooled.... with one of the air cooler heatsinks from the budget build on the link i included you will get similar/better results.

just my 2c

If your stuck on purchasing a prebuilt, i would say this machine is much more tuned to your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 13, 2010 8:20:58 PM

Thanks very much for your comments and advice archer-much appreciated. I should have mentioned that I have no interest in building my own-yeah it will cost me in the end, but not comfortable with computers and would much rather go the prebuilt route and have knowledgeable tech support when I need it.

as for the wireless card, we have another computer in the house, and using a wireless network, so will need the card. I actually have another thread over in the prebuilt forum where I detail what I'm looking for in my new computer-I was just enthralled with this case (I collect dragons) so much that I'm seriously considering getting the computer despite the fact it doesn't have everything I want.

If you have the time you might check the thread over there because another guy has chimed in with suggestions-and he linked the very same computer you did. The problem is I hate the look of that case-and I'm not sure I can ignore that when I'm going to be looking at it every day for the next how many years. :)  He did some builds for me on Ibuypower's and avadirect's site that are more in line with what I'm looking for, and I modified one of his so I'd love to hear what you think if you don't mind and have the time.

Thanks again in any case,
Dan
m
l
November 13, 2010 11:01:28 PM

sounds like you have your heart set on that case, yet want a different build inside of it?

Have you given a try calling / emailing Ibuypower directly and seeing if they may be able to put something together specifically for you. (long shot but perhaps worth it)

Best of luck with it....
m
l
November 13, 2010 11:47:41 PM

yep I did that-unfortunately they don't do builds with that case anymore. :(  I like what's in the case just missing some stuff I need/want like the wireless card, media reader etc. But the vid card and processor are good. I just don't know how good the case is for expansion, easy to get into, cooling to pull the trigger on it.
m
l
November 14, 2010 12:45:47 AM

thanks for that, I wasnt sure if the case was based off another and just given a different outside design or not. That helps a lot
m
l
November 18, 2010 7:53:41 PM

Hey Archer,

I went ahead and ordered my computer from Ibuypower today. I went back and forth on a bunch of different configurations-some that went over my $1000 budget limit, before finally settling on this config. It comes in just over $800 giving me approx $200 to work with when I go looking for Black Friday Monitor deals. Didnt get a wireless card-I believe my brother has an adapter for me. Ended up not going for that sweet looking dragon case-without the ability to configure the computer inside it to my liking finally convinced me to go elsewhere.

Case: NZXT Gamma Gaming Case - Black
Processor: [= Six Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU
Processor Cooling:Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan
Memory: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - ** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - Single Card
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16
Power Supply: 700 Watt -- Standard
Primary Hard Drive: 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
Flash Media Reader / Writer: 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit
Speaker System: iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System
Keyboard: 1 x iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard Black
Mouse: 1 x iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse Black
Advanced Build Options: 1 x iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System Protect your investment during transportation!
Advanced Build Options: 1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis.

Just wanted to thank you for all your time and advice you gave me here, it really was the help and final push I needed to get my new computer. Much appreciated!

Dan
m
l
November 18, 2010 9:11:59 PM

Congrats on the new PC!

I'm sure your gonna love it!
m
l
!