Can't remove standoff screws

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi,

I'm in the process of moving my computer to a new case but I'm having some problems.
One of the motherboard screws can turn but it won't come out.
I looked at the back of the motherboard mounting plate and the golden standoff screw turns in place while I try to unscrew the screw.

I tried clamping the golden standoff screw on the backside while unscrewing the silver motherboard screw from the front. That did't work.

Does anyone have tips of removing this screw?

Solution
If the top screw is stripped then you've got a problem, the solution is to drill it out. You might want to try a locking wrench on the standoff.

Last Resort:
If you have to drill then get a garbage bag or large piece of plastic sheeting, cut a 1/2" to 1" hole, cover the hole with painter's masking tape so one side is sticky, and cut a hole slightly larger than the MOBO screw head and tape to the MOBO to seal and isolate the metal filings.

Use a high-speed drill and a small drill bit, drill VERY CAREFUL in the center of the screw, progressively use a larger drill bit until ONLY the size of the thread {compare to the ones already removed}. Once free, brush filings to the side, and tape the hole shut and remove the plastic.

You don not...
If the top screw is stripped then you've got a problem, the solution is to drill it out. You might want to try a locking wrench on the standoff.

Last Resort:
If you have to drill then get a garbage bag or large piece of plastic sheeting, cut a 1/2" to 1" hole, cover the hole with painter's masking tape so one side is sticky, and cut a hole slightly larger than the MOBO screw head and tape to the MOBO to seal and isolate the metal filings.

Use a high-speed drill and a small drill bit, drill VERY CAREFUL in the center of the screw, progressively use a larger drill bit until ONLY the size of the thread {compare to the ones already removed}. Once free, brush filings to the side, and tape the hole shut and remove the plastic.

You don not need to drill ANY LOWER than the top surface of the MOBO. This is NOT a race.

Good Luck!

Solution

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

Well, I don't want to destroy the case as I'm saving it to build my sister's computer.
I'll try to clamp down the standoff. Thankfully, the top screw isn't stripped, else I'd be ...er, screwed.

Thanks.

What I suggested, part of it, is how to remove a stripped screw on top of the MOBO and the only parts that would be destroyed would be the MOBO screw and standoff.

I hope the clamp solves the problem. Good luck and good luck on helping your sister.