Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
Hello TOms community i built a new pc

i7 960 3.2ghz
corsair pc12800 12gbddr3
HD 5850
SSD OCz Vertex 2 50gb
Corsair 750watt

The problem is this pc i built it 1 week ago and yesterday It was raining a lot with many rays and i turn off the pc cuz there was a BIG rays like next to my hood and my Ethernet port got rapped, so after that i turn the pc and i notice how long it take to load windows (before this happend it was instant loading, now it take like1-2minutes) so what you guys think is the problem what happend? i turn it on SAFE MODE and it was working smoothly(without problems i say) but when i turn it normal mode, it get lot of time to load to windows and i.e get freeze and some games take long in load....what should i do?

Sorry Bad english, hope someone help me here, i will really appreacite it im having big hard time, if i didnt need help i didnt post, but i do,im sad :( Thanks

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I think you are talking about a thunderstorm with lightning strikes.

Basic safe mode does not support networking, so the Ethernet driver doesn't get loaded. It is possible that your Ethernet chip was fried by a nearby lightning strike.

Try safe mode with networking. If that fails, then it's likely that your Ethernet port is broken.

Go into the BIOS and disable the on-board Ethernet port. Try booting again, and see if it boots cleanly. If it does, then buy an Ethernet card for your computer; they are not expensive. Get a good one, with an Intel or Marvell chip, for example. Leave the motherboard Ethernet disabled, and use the network board instead.

Good luck!