Status
Not open for further replies.

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
hi everyone
i want to build a new pc soon so i would like to know more about the amd bulldozer to see if i should wait for it to come out , i want to build a mid level gaming pc for abut 1000 dls

1. Is the bulldozer a gaming processor ?
2.Would it work with the same am3 socket and the 890 chipset ?
3. When is the estimate lunch date and what about the price ?

thanks

Solution

"Bulldozer" is the name of the microarchitecture of AMD's upcoming chips, just like "NetBurst" was Intel's name for the microarchitecture of the Pentium 4 and Pentium D-based CPUs. There will be some Bulldozer-based CPUs targeted at enthusiasts that will make good gaming chips, and there will be some Bulldozer-based CPUs targeted at other market segments that may not make the best gaming chips.

It will not work with the...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
1. Bulldozer is very different from processors today, we can only speculate at what performance it may have in games. Nothing has been released that reveals how well Bulldozer performs except for an old quote "we estimate that customers will see up to 50% more performance from 33% more cores" which is based on server processors.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-roadmap-bulldozer-bobcat-apu,11030.html

2. No, they will be coming out with a new AM3+ socket for Bulldozer, so backwards compatability is gone for this gen. :(

3. Launch is supposed to be around Q2 2011. Nobody really knows the prices yet, it will depend on how well it performs.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yes, Bulldozer will have new motherboards with the AM3+ socket on them. This socket will allow you to put older processors into them, which can be somewhat useful in certain situations.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Well, since it's only an IGP don't expect too much. Sandy Bridge's IGP is slightly faster than a 5450. I would put AMD's IGP at slightly above that, but they are trying to implement "Fusion" which is a combination of the GPU and CPU working together so it could be a much stronger IGP than I think.

loneninja

Distinguished
It was my understanding that there would be no 980/990GX chipsets meaning no new Integrated graphics for Bulldozer boards. Bulldozer is going to be the high end, while Llano with it's integrated gpu would be mainstream so it makes sense to me.

"Bulldozer" is the name of the microarchitecture of AMD's upcoming chips, just like "NetBurst" was Intel's name for the microarchitecture of the Pentium 4 and Pentium D-based CPUs. There will be some Bulldozer-based CPUs targeted at enthusiasts that will make good gaming chips, and there will be some Bulldozer-based CPUs targeted at other market segments that may not make the best gaming chips.

It will not work with the same AM3 socket as the current Phenom II and Athlon II chips. At least one Bulldozer variant (Orochi) will need a current-style northbridge/southbridge setup like what the 890 provides, and will likely use the 8-series chipset family because I haven't heard of any new chipsets coming out of AMD to replace the 8-series ones. Some other Bulldozer chips (Llano) will use a new single-chip chipset instead of the current 8-series units.

3. When is the estimate lunch date and what about the price ?

Desktop is supposed to be released in the spring and server parts are in the summer. Prices, clock speeds, and a list of the various models hasn't been released yet.

where's JF-AMD when you need him..............................
Let's start a Bulldozer Mother-thread!!!!! :D

John only does server, not client, so he'd not enter into this discussion. Server is a bit different as the sockets and platforms have already been released. The 6- and 8-core Opteron 4200s use a single die and have two DDR3-1600 channels and will drop into existing Socket C32 boards with a BIOS update. The 8, 12, and 16-core dual-die MCM Opteron 6200s have four DDR3-1600 channels and will drop into existing Socket G34 boards with a BIOS update. Both of those server platforms use chipsets similar to the current desktop 8-series chipsets. The SR56x0 northbridges used in the servers are similar to the non-IGP desktop chipsets (such as the 890FX, which is analogous to the server SR5690 chipset) and the SP5100 southbridge is similar to the SB710.

Solution

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I don't think that it would give much of a performance boost, if any, even if they did implement some sort of hybrid Crossfire for the IGP and a dedicated card. The cards today are so much faster(especially with memory bandwidth) that the IGP might just slow it down.

There is a new tech that was made that is supposed to do hybrid SliFire(whatever you would call it :p ), which would allow you to Crossfire or SLI any card together even across the lines like 1 Nvidia card and 1 AMD card. It doesn't work too well yet, but if they gain traction they might be able to work out the kinks to get it working well. Wish I could find the article I saw on it, it's somewhere here on Tom's.

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

i hink you´re talkig about a chipset called lucid hydra wich allows to run nvidia and ati cards at the same time the msi big bang motherboard has this

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yes, that's it. Thanks for reminding me of the name. ;)

wamreyaz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

it is not hydra bu hydralogix chip and is now also found on ASUS mobos

Status
Not open for further replies.