Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What would cause dsl light to be on and internet light to be off

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 10, 2010 6:56:25 PM

I have a desk top and two lap tops which all three constantly lose the internet at the same time. The DSL light remains green but my internet light goes out. My internet connection comes and goes. It's on and then I will lose the internet for 5 seconds and then it comes back. It will do this for maybe an hour and then all at once I will have no problems for sometimes a couple of hours. Then out of the blue it will start all over again. I have had my provider check everything and I am at a loss as to what the problem could be.

The phone company has changed out my modem, and has replaced all kinds of stuff relating to the phone lines. I have been told that my signal is very strong and my margins are good. So I replaced my router to see if that was the problem but I am still having problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best solution

July 11, 2010 3:25:12 PM

barbaraingeorgia said:
I have a desk top and two lap tops which all three constantly lose the internet at the same time. The DSL light remains green but my internet light goes out. My internet connection comes and goes. It's on and then I will lose the internet for 5 seconds and then it comes back. It will do this for maybe an hour and then all at once I will have no problems for sometimes a couple of hours. Then out of the blue it will start all over again. I have had my provider check everything and I am at a loss as to what the problem could be.

The phone company has changed out my modem, and has replaced all kinds of stuff relating to the phone lines. I have been told that my signal is very strong and my margins are good. So I replaced my router to see if that was the problem but I am still having problems.

Love to help but this is one only your ISP can sort out. The phone company will say they're supplying constant DSL with a little light to prove it and the router people won't find anything wrong in their equipment. If the ISP can't send a constant stream to the telephone company, they can't ship it to you.

July 11, 2010 10:09:37 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. As it happens my phone company is also my internet provider so I guess I'll just keep on trying with them.
:) 
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 12, 2010 11:46:32 AM

Did you install DSL filters on all the phones plugged into a phone jack? You could request that the phone company run a "home run" to your DSL modem.
m
l
July 12, 2010 3:44:04 PM

Grumpy9117, thanks for your reply. You are dealing with a technical computer novice.

I only have one jack that is connected to a phone which connects my wireless phones. I know that there is a filter on that jack. So do I ask the phone company to run "home run" and will they know what that is or will I need to explain?
m
l
July 12, 2010 4:32:58 PM

barbaraingeorgia said:
Grumpy9117, thanks for your reply. You are dealing with a technical computer novice.

I only have one jack that is connected to a phone which connects my wireless phones. I know that there is a filter on that jack. So do I ask the phone company to run "home run" and will they know what that is or will I need to explain?

Aha - wireless 'phones - a possible cause of interruption of signal from the router. Is one of them sited near the router?

I'm sure Grumpy's terminology will be correct for the States - over here in England we call it a Whoosh test but half the call-centre staff at the main telephone company don't seem to know what it means anyway. :D .

m
l
Anonymous
July 12, 2010 11:40:12 PM

A cordless phone won't disrupt a DSL connection. The phone company should know what you're talking about. You is your ISP/phone company?
m
l
July 23, 2010 1:35:23 PM

Best answer selected by barbaraingeorgia.
m
l
January 27, 2013 4:08:36 PM

barbaraingeorgia said:

Buddy i am enginnering student . i also faced the same problem but i found the solution that works .....
when u r online or acess the internet put your phone angage .. then u will recivee internet light without any intreupted again nd again . it works for me hope also works for you .. < Desent Abhi > check my profile on Facebook abhi.khullar007@gmail.com or mail me on abhishek.khullar19@gmail.com i am also interted to troubleshoot problems . na give suggesion to other that they got the satisfied results okk buddy thanks !!!!
m
l
!