Sign in with
Your question

I have a problem I am sure nobody can answer.

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2010 3:52:17 PM

My processor on my laptop would randomly spike to 90+ used even though the Task Manager shows 90+ free! The processor shows 90+ used and the Idle Process also shows 90+ free. At first I thought this was random but then I realized... it corresponds exactly with the angle of my laptop screen. I know this sounds weird but I am a computer geek and am quite comfortable around them.

The task manager shows a history of CPU use (and I even installed a second meter). If I have the laptop open over 90 degrees the processor shows 1-4% use. If I lower it to less than 90 degrees the processor immediately jumps to over 70% and immediately drops back when I move it the other way.

Anybody have any ideas? Because after two weeks of moving my screen a few inches a few thousand times to watch the CPU use change, I am starting to feel like a crazy person rather than somebody who is trying to fix something.

I will say I did recently take the entire thing apart to clean it... but I can't figure out what I could have done to cause this.

More about : problem answer

November 16, 2010 11:41:08 AM

Without being rude man.... I just don't really believe you. Regardless of the screen position without seeing pictures of the system idle process and corresponding usage graph indicating 90% usage at the same time I just wouldn't believe it...
m
l
November 16, 2010 11:45:25 AM

blacksheep101 said:
Without being rude man.... I just don't really believe you. Regardless of the screen position without seeing pictures of the system idle process and corresponding usage graph indicating 90% usage at the same time I just wouldn't believe it...

A little harsh if you dont mind me saying.. Rather than insulting the guy, how about some respect and politely ask him for pictures?

Blah blah blah..

Anyways, it would be nice if you could maybe post some pictures, the only thing i could suggest is that it may have an auto brightness sensor or something?? As it receives less light it tries to composate for this, not sure if this is linked to the CPU doign this. It is a shot in the dark..
m
l
Related resources
a c 100 à CPUs
November 16, 2010 12:17:44 PM

It's probably because the laptop is sensing the screen position in preparation to shut down in case that turns out to be a closing it down move.
m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
November 16, 2010 12:34:59 PM

blacksheep101 said:

If you don't think what you wrote is rude, I'd hate to see what you write when trying to be rude.

Have you ever wondered what happens when you close the screen down on a laptop, of course that is dependent on what you have closing the screen set to do, shutdown, go into sleep mode, etc.

What happens when you just select the shutdown option, and the shutdown screen appears, haven't you noticed the screen dims, what do you think is happening in preparation of the shutdown?

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 12:36:36 PM

^^ That and maybe there's a loose wire/cable, and depending on the position of the screen there is some grounding that is making the computer act weird
m
l
November 16, 2010 4:06:36 PM

Loose wires is my guess. I am SURE it has to do with the screen position (no mater how unlikely). I spent many days at different times moving the screen and the reaction is instant! I agree that it sounds unlikely, I for one have never seen such a thing.

I did suspect maybe it was hitting the little button that depresses when the top closes but it is nowhere even close to it. This phenomenon happens when the screen is even slightly past 90 degrees. My only guess is that it could be pulling a cable and causing the hardware to malfunction (this would explain the high CPU use while showing no process using the CPU). It still seems quite weird. I really don't want to open it back up again. lol

And 4ryan6: If you think this is crazy... for the longest time my only answer was that somehow my laptop knew I was next to it and it was only doing this to screw with me! lol

It was only after a few weeks that I realized that I was always moving the screen position to slightly closed when it happened. After that I experimented about 30 times across several days to be sure. I even showed my friends and roommate because nobody could believe it!

I guess I will open the laptop back up and re-close it paying special attention to wires... but if that fixes it, I will never know for sure what the problem was! Just wanted to document it in case somebody ever had a similar problem.

I will try to post a video just so you guys can see.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 4:15:56 PM

tommymsw said:
And 4ryan6: If you think this is crazy... for the longest time my only answer was that somehow my laptop knew I was next to it and it was only doing this to screw with me! lol

I'm sorry Dave I don't think using this laptop is a good idea at the moment.

m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
November 17, 2010 1:25:10 AM

That's definitely one for the record books!

You didn't hear any Twilight Zone music playing in the background did ya? :lol: 
m
l
November 22, 2010 10:05:55 PM

Here, I still have not figured out the problem but I did get around to uploading a video for your enjoyment. You will just have to take my word that I do not have a program or something installed making my laptop do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-KoF3-bTdc

Check it out.
m
l
November 23, 2010 12:56:00 AM

WOW.....just omg...he wasnt lying. That's insane, get a priest.
m
l
!