Sign in with
Your question

Moving Windows 8 to SSD without install media?

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2012 8:18:33 PM

So I installed $39.99 Windows 8 Pro upgrade on my Hp Dv6t laptop. Now I just bought an OCZ Vertex 4 128gb (50% sale) and installed it alongside my current 500gb HDD in an optical drive caddy.

I want to move Windows 8 to the SSD, along with some programs. I want to clean install it to avoid alignment issues etc with cloning, but I don't know how I would go about doing this since I don't have the ISO or Windows 8 disk (or optical drive for that matter).

Somehow Microsoft has no record of my purchase (it took 30min on the phone just to get the product key email that I never received). I attempted to use the setup.exe file to download the ISO but it said my product key did not work). Am I missing something? Is there a way to clean install Windows 8 to the SSD in my situation?

I am new to SSDs. How should I go about doing this? Use a clone program? Would cloning to the SSD and then reinstalling Windows from there fix any cloning issues?

Thanks.
December 2, 2012 10:12:13 PM

anyone?
m
l
December 3, 2012 2:28:30 AM

Try using Clonezilla. It's a live CD. It's what I used to upgrade to my TB HDD from my existing 300GB HDD. As for specifics, I cannot help with that.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2012 6:39:00 PM

btw am also looking answer for same question like to how move win 8 to the SSD, i guess no help available on google am still searching..
were you manage to do that?

p.s.
you can get windows 8 key by installing belarc advisor tool.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 9, 2012 6:48:49 PM

Do you not have the purchase receipt of the Win8 Pro Upgrade? If you do then the code is in that email.
m
l
December 9, 2012 7:46:42 PM

Use imaging software (e.g. Acronis True Image). Very fast and very simple. Choose whole disk/partition but not sector by sector, and make sure the SSD size has plenty room to spare. Restoring the image normally takes 5-20mins.
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:18:18 PM

If you have the upgrade media you should have the option to install the new copy of windows onto a different drive (i.e. the SSD) than the original install. The install process will check for _an_ install of Windows on the PC but it shouldn't insist on updating that installation of Windows.
m
l
!