Sign in with
Your question

Compatable sound cards with Klipsh promedia GMX D 5 1

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2010 4:41:39 PM

I have a Klipsh promedia GMX D 5 1 speaker system which I have usedfor the past 5 years with a Creative Sound Blaster audigy 2 ZS soundcard.

Recently I upgraded my PC which included a new Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Soundcard.

Unfortunately the new card and my Klipsh system are incompatable. (No Sound)

I Know Creative used to make a plug in adapter device to accommodate the digital signal, but that device seems to be no longer available.

Does anyone know where I can find a plug in adapter device or cansuggest a current sound card which will work with my Klipsh system.

Malcolm
November 27, 2010 9:51:48 PM

Hello Malcolm. Welcome to the Forum.

Let's see. You have got a new system card but with an 'old' sound system. It should work. I don't see why? I would try to see if I could get any good sound systems...brand new. That is what I would do. Nothing expensive, but not cheap.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2010 2:45:03 PM

HT | Omega's solution have a whole range of cards at www.htomega.com for you to choose, we can help select a card provided we know what sort of connectivity you prefer, analog or optical.

HT | Omega Claro Plus+ - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $175
HT | OMEGA Claro Halo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $200

I'd ditch the x-fi from creative - they got progressively worse after the 2ZS platinum. I loved it when it was still alive :p  and judging from the speaker set you have, you've taken good care to make it last that long - so your somewhat of an audiophile and a moviephile?

The HT's are a great solution :) 
m
l
December 3, 2010 5:16:26 PM

I have the same sound system. Basically you need a card that does digital out, as the ProMedia has no analog-ins. Both sound cards listed in my sig will drive this sound setup.

Note, if you want to game in 5.1 you need a sound-card that can re-encode surround to a digital-out. You need to look for Dolby Digital Live, or DTS live branding.
m
l
!