Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 on ssd

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 29, 2012 8:50:26 PM

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased an 62GB ssd sata 3 hard drive to boot windows 7 and Bo2 on..

Here's the part im confused on! would i be able to install games programs ect to my normal HDD?

More about : windows ssd

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 29, 2012 9:07:10 PM

Yes and no. The bulk of a program can be installed on another drive, provided the install program allows the selection of the install location (99.999999999999999999% do), however there will always be a few files that MUST be installed to the boot drive where Windows is located. Usually this is a relatively small number of files, but it could be substantial depending on the program.
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 29, 2012 9:08:52 PM

Ok Thank You, how would i go about doing this? like how would i add program files to my HDD?
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 29, 2012 11:03:49 PM

Quote:
Ok Thank You, how would i go about doing this? like how would i add program files to my HDD?

It depends on the program, but most of the time when you install a program one of the screens during the process will be asking you where you want to install the program. So you just make sure to point it at the HDD rather than the SSD in that instance.

One notable exception would be Steam, which defaults to installing everything on the same drive the Steam client is installed on. You can reinstall Steam onto the HDD, and there is a beta client which will let you choose where to store the Steam game files.
!