Failing HDD to an SSD help

mythodix

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Well I just want to start off an say that I'm still a newb with computers even though I built my own. Ok so I built my first PC back in April and bought a brand new WD 1TB HDD and after finishing the build I noticed a grinding sound from the HDD though it eventually stopped after a few days of use. Now for the past few days I have been getting serious HDD issues such as failed to load this out of memory exceptions and something about bad sectors and failed indexing. I'm assuming the HDD is on it's way out and have been looking for a new SSD upgrade. I planned on buying a 180gb Corsair SSD and am not sure how to proceed after that. I'm not worried about my old data on the HDD because I backup everything to external drives and I am also only using 146GBs of my old HDD and plan to put all my music pictures and videos onto another HDD I have so only main programs will use the SSD. The main thing I am worried about is my windows 7 installation and serial number. I'm afraid of reinstalling windows 7 on a new SSD and having to repurchase a serial or something like that. I bought Win7 on disc from Bestbuy so what I'm asking is would all I have to do is redo the installation process and re enter the serial? does my motherboard remember the serial or something? Thanks for the help!

The motherboard doesn't "remember" anything other than the BIOS settings. However, there should be no problem reinstalling Windows from the CD and reactivating. Boot the disk and when it asks for the code, type it in. In the unlikely event it doesn't activate cleanly just use the telephone activation system. The code can be re-installed on the same PC any number of times. :)

mythodix

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks a bunch my HDD finally just gave up after I originally posted. I managed to get an Intel 180gb SSD which is looking really good right now and win7 installation went smooth. Now just to optimize the SSD.