Sign in with
Your question

Boot drive from a sata III controller card?

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2012 10:32:35 PM

O.K.,

I ordered a Vertex 4 128 GB SSD for the boot drive of my computer build, but suddenly had a "duh" moment. For those who have been following the other thread, you know that my friend gave me a LGA 1366 board and a I7 950 CPU...which we figured is ample for what I need.

Here is the "duh" moment. All of the sata ports are Sata II. This means bottlenecking at the port for the SSD. In fact, I am going to lose about half of the performance gain I am getting over HD.

Hardware is not my forte. Is it possible to set up your boot drive and operating system from a marvel card through PCI-e ? If so, is it advisable/stable?

Thanks in advance.

November 29, 2012 11:21:34 PM

Isn't that data a bit outdated? The 4th generation ssd's like the Vertex 4 and 840 pro have significantly faster performance than there last generation cousins...this chart seems to be saying that without a sata 3 port, the ssd drive I am getting is going to be even slower than its own earlier model..
m
l
December 9, 2012 11:30:47 PM

We, apparently I HAVE seen a substantial difference. I also learned never to plug an ssd into a Gsata port...at first, I had 128k read/write....then I realized what I had done, so I switched it, and it doubled to about 260...still WAY below the SSD's limits.
m
l
!