Sign in with
Your question

I need a case: Haf 912, Antec 300, or...?

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2010 6:42:49 PM

I just finished another setup using a HAF 912, I had the computer less than 48 hours, before a friend offered to purchase it from me. I have a little bit more money to spend now, and I don't want to skimp on the case at all. That being said, I live in Hawaii; any case I get sent here from most online retailers is going to cost me $60 shipping. I tend to look on eBay to try to find whomever will ship the cheapest (I got a HAF 912 shipped for free before :)  )

Basically, I would like to know about other cases in the price range of $50-80 that I might want to look at, or if I should just stick with the 912.

More about : case haf 912 antec 300

November 13, 2010 7:20:03 PM

both the HAF 912 and the antec 300/illusion are great cases. you could look at some NZXT cases. there are quite a few in the $60-80 range. the rosewill challenger is also a fairly good case, so is the rosewill cruiser.

i did find this raidmax case with some good reviews. description says it comes with 4 fans and it costs $70.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

at $80 though you could get the antec 600.

the coolermaster storm scout is also $80.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2010 7:36:28 PM

+1 for the Antec 300(Illusion),

I am currently using a 300 Illusion($40 @ Newegg after rebate, got lucky on that deal) and I could not be happier. The fans included are nice on the low setting and they keep my voltage happy P4 running below 58c in any stress test I throw at it and thats OC'd to 3.74GHz, but on medium or high they do get kinda loud, not a big problem as I wear headphones when gaming. The build quality of the case and features are great for the price and I also really like the clean look to it.

I have no expeirence with the HAF and I am not sure what or how many fans come with it, but from I hear it is a great case also and alot of people are using them so maybe you have made the best choice already.
m
l
Related resources
a c 164 ) Power supply
November 13, 2010 9:01:16 PM

i just got the 912, I'm taking some older parts and placing them into it and then off it goes to my nephew. I would have gotten the antec 300 (my case) but I wanted to see what the 912 can do. The 912 biggest advantage is the removable mid drive cage. You can place an ATI 5970 into it. I found the Antec 300 is sturdier and better cooling out of the box (140mm & 120mm fans vs. the 912's 2x120mm). If you add two more 120mm fans to either case then no need to worry about heat.

both cases are very good and each has slight advantages over the other. I find the antec looks better (can't stand the HAF grille) and comes in flat black. The 912 has a better paint job (little air bubbles on the antec 300) but is an uglier gray/black. the 912 lets you install the PSU fan side down or up, antec is up only. the rear exhaust of the antec case lines up perfectly with my CM 212+ cooler. the CM 912 rear exhaust is about 1.5" higher so they would not line up as well.
m
l
November 13, 2010 9:07:35 PM

ct1615 said:
i just got the 912, I'm taking some older parts and placing them into it and then off it goes to my nephew. I would have gotten the antec 300 (my case) but I wanted to see what the 912 can do. The 912 biggest advantage is the removable mid drive cage. You can place an ATI 5970 into it. I found the Antec 300 is sturdier and better cooling out of the box (140mm & 120mm fans vs. the 912's 2x120mm). If you add two more 120mm fans to either case then no need to worry about heat.

both cases are very good and each has slight advantages over the other. I find the antec looks better (can't stand the HAF grille) and comes in flat black. The 912 has a better paint job (little air bubbles on the antec 300) but is an uglier gray/black. the 912 lets you install the PSU fan side down or up, antec is up only. the rear exhaust of the antec case lines up perfectly with my CM 212+ cooler. the CM 912 rear exhaust is about 1.5" higher so they would not line up as well.

Haha. I think the general consensus is that both cases are equal in almost every aspect, it's just a matter of whether or not you want your case to look like a HAF or not. I might just say screw it and go with a Lanboy.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
November 13, 2010 9:21:33 PM

chumly said:
Haha. I think the general consensus is that both cases are equal in almost every aspect, it's just a matter of whether or not you want your case to look like a HAF or not. I might just say screw it and go with a Lanboy.

honestly I think CM best mid tower case is the CM 690 II. It's $10 more on newegg then the 912 ( plus another $10 in SH)

painted black interior, better looking (IMHO), 140mm fan up top (room for a second), I believe it comes with a second 140mm up front also, more fan mounting options then either the antec or CM 912

m
l
November 14, 2010 1:55:31 AM

^ i agree the cm 690 II is the best mid tower case ive ever built a system on, but the one you are talking about is not the one in your link, the basic only comes with 2 120mm one in the fron and one exhaust in the back, the advanced is the one with 2 140mm and one 120mm, you can put fans everywhere in that case plus is better looking imo but as many have said it comes down to which one of those you like better they are all very much the same
m
l
a c 134 ) Power supply
November 14, 2010 1:58:47 AM

The 300 and 912 on the smallest boxes

The 900/902 and 922 in the mid tower

The 1200 and 932 in the full towers but they getting long in the tooth. My top choice right now if the DF-85 but I have yet to try my hand at an HAF-X. Looking at the videos on the newegg product pages, I think you'll find them both comparable in design features, however the one thing that sticks out for me on the DF series is the removable air filters. The HAF has one at the bottom but all other air intakes are unfiltered.
m
l
!