Memory Induced Lockups?

psycrosis

Aug 2, 2009
Hopefully Someone here with a little more know how can help me through this.....

I have a computer system, about 3 years old now and it has lasted me quite well.

REcently ive wanted to start some light HD Video Editing and i thought a nice upgrade from 4GB to 8GB wouuld be just what I neeeded.

2 returns later im having a huge headache.

My Mother board is an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Motherboard and supports DDr2

and the current DDR2 RAM (THe original installed upon build) is XMS2 Memory.

Model number CM2X2048-8500C5

Its timing is 5-5-515 and the frequency is 1066

I understand the best bet is to increase with th esame memory but i CANNOT find this type anywhere no more. its as if it has disappeared off the face off the earth.

So at first I go to new egg and purchase THIS intially thinking it would work (Im kinda going on a budget here)

and upon installition I would get hangs after some amounts of use, anywhere from seconds of powering to 30 minutes.

I figured it was the timings and freq. so i returned it and I now have THIS installed in my system. At first everythign seemd good but then it locks up too now.

What I am asking is... am i missing sometihng?
will these never work together?
Is my Mother board fried?
AM i bett off buying a whole new set to get to 8GB?

For testing sake both the memory stick pair purchases have been used in dual channel on the system stable for a day each, using automatic settings.

I have also tried forcing 800MHz, forcing 1066, etc

Any help to get this going would be greatly appreciated

Any other required information about the system I would happy to get for you aswell

donkeywax

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
i have had similar trouble with corsair xms3 which is basically ddr3 version of yours,
i noticed when i went into my bios also asus,
that my motherboard had set the voltage to 1.65v when it stats on memory i should be 1.5v, have you checked the voltage in your bios to see if it matches the voltage stated by your bios,