Sign in with
Your question

Cooling my CPU, what product should i get?

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2010 6:52:50 PM

my CPU is an AMD quad core 9950 black edition and its running at 50 52 C ALL the time even when im not doing anything, I have a stock CPU cooler at the moment and (not for long hopefully) i get paid this wednesday in your oppinion what is more bang for the buck for a better CPU cooler the cooler master v6,v8 or v10? at micro center the v6 are going for 49.99 the v8's are i think 60's to 70 and the big v10 is 130 somethin. im the king of person to go big or go home so i was leaning more toward the V10 just cause its bigger but im not sure if A. i even need that much power, and B. if i even have enough residual power to porwe the damn think its 200 wats itself im pretty sure. anyone have any suggestions?

More about : cooling cpu product

a b à CPUs
November 13, 2010 7:03:10 PM

Hello broggarage,

From what I have heard about the v10 is that it performs about the same as the high end tower coolers that are availible now-a-days and also if true that could free you from that high power requirement. As for the V6 or the V8 thse are priced at a point where there are better choices for your money. Instead f the V6 you can get a Prolimatech Megahalems(but you would need to buy the AMD bracket and fans, but a very high rated cooler) or for the price of the V8 the Noctua NH-D14, which is a highly rated cooler also.

I have a thread I started back in the begining of October Which i7 Heatsink? which I have rounded up all the top performing CPU coolers out there, and links to the best available review sites to compare thier individual performance.

I know this is for a i7 CPU, but alot of these coolers come with the appropriate brackets for a AMD CPU or they are available as an extra part.

If you want to do a little of your own research these are some great sites, if not the best:
Hardware Canucks
FrostyTech
BenchmarkReviews
m
l
November 13, 2010 7:34:06 PM

thechief73 said:
Hello broggarage,

From what I have heard about the v10 is that it performs about the same as the high end tower coolers that are availible now-a-days and also if true that could free you from that high power requirement. As for the V6 or the V8 thse are priced at a point where there are better choices for your money. Instead f the V6 you can get a Prolimatech Megahalems(but you would need to buy the AMD bracket and fans, but a very high rated cooler) or for the price of the V8 the Noctua NH-D14, which is a highly rated cooler also.

I have a thread I started back in the begining of October Which i7 Heatsink? which I have rounded up all the top performing CPU coolers out there, and links to the best available review sites to compare thier individual performance.

I know this is for a i7 CPU, but alot of these coolers come with the appropriate brackets for a AMD CPU or they are available as an extra part.

If you want to do a little of your own research these are some great sites, if not the best:
Hardware Canucks
FrostyTech
BenchmarkReviews

thank you!!! and after reading some reviews i think ive decided on this one
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=248...
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2010 8:19:21 PM

Hey, your welcome, I am glad I could help.

That is one mean looking cooler, I like how they put the fan in the middle, I was actually considering buying this one a while back.

One thing just to be safe, if you have a Mid-Tower case with a side panel fan as it may get in the way and I have read that if your RAM has a heatspreader on them there may be some interfernce there also. Otherwise it should fit just fine, as I have a Megahalems and it is slightly taller and fits in my Antec 300.
m
l
November 14, 2010 5:58:06 PM

thechief73 said:
Hey, your welcome, I am glad I could help.

That is one mean looking cooler, I like how they put the fan in the middle, I was actually considering buying this one a while back.

One thing just to be safe, if you have a Mid-Tower case with a side panel fan as it may get in the way and I have read that if your RAM has a heatspreader on them there may be some interfernce there also. Otherwise it should fit just fine, as I have a Megahalems and it is slightly taller and fits in my Antec 300.

i have an aliwneare R5 aurora so i think the chassis big enough, at leas i hope so. The side does come off but im not sure if theres a fan immediately adjacent from the CPU cooler i think its off a couple inches lower than where the CPU cooler is locateed so i hope that wont be a problem lol but ill find out fur sure this wednesday :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2010 10:27:19 PM

I think you will be ok, if there no fan holes on the side then there wont be a fan in there, from the pictures I found of your case it seems the CPU is near the top of the case. The cooler you got is 152mm tall or ~6in, so if you want to check just measure ~6in out from an approximate spot level with the top of you CPU.

Tip - Point the cooler so the fan is blowing out the back of the case when you install it.
m
l
!