Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, Speed and IDE??

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2012 11:20:38 PM

Hello,

I have a few questions about my recently acquired Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD.

First of all, when I first installed the drive and went to the bios, it didn't appear in the "drives" list, and when I went to the boot drive priority list, it showed it as an "IDE" drive.

Additionally, when I installed windows 7 on it and installed Crystal Disk Mark, it only got a 330 MB/s read and a 170 MB/s write.

So, whats going on?? It's preforming well below the standard speed. Maybe I need to update my BIOS? Update my drivers on the new Windows 7 install?? Or??? :( 

If you could please reply, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you so much!!

-- Chris Cygnus

P.S. I do have another install of Windows 7 on my older hard drive that I had been using, and that install had current drivers, if that makes any difference.
November 30, 2012 12:36:35 AM

Also, just in case it's needed, my Motherboard is an Asus P7P55D-E PRO.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 30, 2012 12:44:59 AM

Is it plugged into SATA III or SATA II? Because that sounds like it's only a SATA II port.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2012 12:51:30 AM

DarkSable said:
Is it plugged into SATA III or SATA II? Because that sounds like it's only a SATA II port.

Yes, it is plugged into the SATA III port, I'm sure of that. But I'm not sure if maybe the Marvel controller is doing something odd as, like I said, it said the device was in IDE mode or something. But I'm not sure how I would change that.
m
l
November 30, 2012 12:58:56 AM

The Marvell controller says it's doing it as a "PassThru IDE" if that makes any difference. Also, is the low speed maybe correlated to the Marvell controller vs. an Intel one?? Or?
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
November 30, 2012 9:12:04 AM

Please try using the integrated Intel Controller in AHCI Mode. If you have to switch from IDE to AHCI, please boot Windows once before plugging the into the controller.
m
l
November 30, 2012 9:54:02 AM

If you installed windows with that drive running IDE, you will need to edit the registry so that windows "reintroduces" itself to the drive on the next startup.

Then when you restart the computer, you have to go into BIOS before windows boots, and set the controller to AHCI.

If you just change to AHCI now, windows will not boot. (I have gone through this once myself)

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
m
l
a b G Storage
November 30, 2012 10:46:05 AM

You should not connect your SSD through the Marvel controller, because its performance is very bad. Connect the SSD to the Intel Controller, EVEN IF it is SATA II, as it is better than Marvel SATA III.

Then follow the instructions above given by Z1NONLY.

Also as I have just written on the other post enable Trim. Type CMD in the search box in the Start Menu, then click on CMD (Run as Administrator) Type: “fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify”, Press Enter.

The result should be “0″.

If the result is “1″, TRIM is disabled.

In order to enable TRIM type the following command: “fsutil behavior query|set DisableDeleteNotify = 0″

Disk Defragmenter Schedule should be Turn Off -- and Disable Disk Defragmenter and Drive Indexing.

You can disable Pagefile, or move it to your HDD.
m
l
!