Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with Norton Ghost key with new Samsung 840 SSD

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2012 11:38:43 PM

Hello,
I bought a new Samsung 840 SSD it was advertised to come with a key for Norton Ghost to clone my drive. 'The key was a no go I spent some time looking around forums looking for an answer and found nothing. I contacted Norton again no help. Then I went to Samsung and registered the drive which I wasn't going to do. I wat to just clone the drive with Norton and go my merry way. After registering my drive I went to MY Acct at Samsung it showed my drive and software I could download for it. I downloaded the data migration software. I followed the prompts and quickly cloned my drive. I removed the original hdd and restarted my compter with the SSD as the only drive and it took off with out a hitch. I am happy with the drive. Don't even think about the Norton Ghost that is a deadend. Just register with Samsung and download the data migration software that is all there is to it.
a c 79 G Storage
November 30, 2012 9:50:35 PM

Thanks for sharing that.
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
December 10, 2012 10:09:39 PM

Data Migration Tool doesn't recognize my SSD (840 PRO). Windows recognizes it (i can format it, etc) Any idea how to fix that?
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 4:57:43 PM

hi, i've bought the 840 pro too. mine is driving me nuts, i've tried doing a fresh install of win7 but that wont even work, i tried cloning my orig drive on boot up using EaseUS_DiskCopy_Home this wont work either. i've even tried booting my cpu with it just as a second drive and it just crashes. can someone please help a newb out? thanks!!
m
l
February 10, 2013 12:36:47 AM

Sounds familiar.... Here's my experience.

Clean install windows - 250GB SSD reported by XP as 131GB.
No clone cable supplied - additional purchase & delay.
Samsung Magician clone icon instructs to "Download (non-free) Norton Ghost"
Had a copy of Ghost already - result 'non functional boot'.

So, installed XP from CD on 131GB (for the price of 250GB).
Result: shocking instability of new XP and major corruption of the FAT on my backup disk. (Recoverable).

No confidence whatsoever in the security of Samsung SSD for data storage.

p.s. I think someone returned a faulty SSD which was re-packaged and re-sold.
m
l

Best solution

March 15, 2013 6:03:15 AM

I found the data migration software here without need to register. Haven't tested it yet.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html
September 1, 2013 8:10:23 PM

RedRock said:
Hello,
I bought a new Samsung 840 SSD it was advertised to come with a key for Norton Ghost to clone my drive. 'The key was a no go I spent some time looking around forums looking for an answer and found nothing. I contacted Norton again no help. Then I went to Samsung and registered the drive which I wasn't going to do. I wat to just clone the drive with Norton and go my merry way. After registering my drive I went to MY Acct at Samsung it showed my drive and software I could download for it. I downloaded the data migration software. I followed the prompts and quickly cloned my drive. I removed the original hdd and restarted my compter with the SSD as the only drive and it took off with out a hitch. I am happy with the drive. Don't even think about the Norton Ghost that is a deadend. Just register with Samsung and download the data migration software that is all there is to it.

m
l
September 1, 2013 8:18:28 PM

RedRock, thank you so much. I decided to do the swap on a holiday weekend so when Norton Ghost said i couldnt clone my drive I thought I had to wait til tuesday to talk to someone. But then i found your post and it worked exactly like you said. And now, i can't believe how fast it boots and how fast things load. I'm extremely happy. Thanks again.

I need to make one correction. When i first tried to clone drive (before RedRock) windows 7 did not see my SSD drive. I found a post on the net on how to initialize the drive and assign a drive letter. I think it was Start / computer - right click / manage / disk management. And then right click on empty space next to SSD. Hope that helps.
m
l
!