Solved

Problem with Norton Ghost key with new Samsung 840 SSD

Hello,
I bought a new Samsung 840 SSD it was advertised to come with a key for Norton Ghost to clone my drive. 'The key was a no go I spent some time looking around forums looking for an answer and found nothing. I contacted Norton again no help. Then I went to Samsung and registered the drive which I wasn't going to do. I wat to just clone the drive with Norton and go my merry way. After registering my drive I went to MY Acct at Samsung it showed my drive and software I could download for it. I downloaded the data migration software. I followed the prompts and quickly cloned my drive. I removed the original hdd and restarted my compter with the SSD as the only drive and it took off with out a hitch. I am happy with the drive. Don't even think about the Norton Ghost that is a deadend. Just register with Samsung and download the data migration software that is all there is to it.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problem norton ghost samsung
  1. Thanks for sharing that.
  2. Data Migration Tool doesn't recognize my SSD (840 PRO). Windows recognizes it (i can format it, etc) Any idea how to fix that?
  3. hi, i've bought the 840 pro too. mine is driving me nuts, i've tried doing a fresh install of win7 but that wont even work, i tried cloning my orig drive on boot up using EaseUS_DiskCopy_Home this wont work either. i've even tried booting my cpu with it just as a second drive and it just crashes. can someone please help a newb out? thanks!!
  4. Sounds familiar.... Here's my experience.

Clean install windows - 250GB SSD reported by XP as 131GB.
    No clone cable supplied - additional purchase & delay.
    Samsung Magician clone icon instructs to "Download (non-free) Norton Ghost"
    Had a copy of Ghost already - result 'non functional boot'.

So, installed XP from CD on 131GB (for the price of 250GB).
    Result: shocking instability of new XP and major corruption of the FAT on my backup disk. (Recoverable).

No confidence whatsoever in the security of Samsung SSD for data storage.

p.s. I think someone returned a faulty SSD which was re-packaged and re-sold.
  5. Best answer
    I found the data migration software here without need to register. Haven't tested it yet.
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html
  6. RedRock said:
    Hello,
    I bought a new Samsung 840 SSD it was advertised to come with a key for Norton Ghost to clone my drive. 'The key was a no go I spent some time looking around forums looking for an answer and found nothing. I contacted Norton again no help. Then I went to Samsung and registered the drive which I wasn't going to do. I wat to just clone the drive with Norton and go my merry way. After registering my drive I went to MY Acct at Samsung it showed my drive and software I could download for it. I downloaded the data migration software. I followed the prompts and quickly cloned my drive. I removed the original hdd and restarted my compter with the SSD as the only drive and it took off with out a hitch. I am happy with the drive. Don't even think about the Norton Ghost that is a deadend. Just register with Samsung and download the data migration software that is all there is to it.
  7. RedRock, thank you so much. I decided to do the swap on a holiday weekend so when Norton Ghost said i couldnt clone my drive I thought I had to wait til tuesday to talk to someone. But then i found your post and it worked exactly like you said. And now, i can't believe how fast it boots and how fast things load. I'm extremely happy. Thanks again.

I need to make one correction. When i first tried to clone drive (before RedRock) windows 7 did not see my SSD drive. I found a post on the net on how to initialize the drive and assign a drive letter. I think it was Start / computer - right click / manage / disk management. And then right click on empty space next to SSD. Hope that helps.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Norton Samsung Storage