Epson R800 versus 2200 image quality

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 31, 2004 3:26:57 AM

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the image quality between the Epson
R800 and 2200?

Ben
December 31, 2004 3:26:58 AM

"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-dollars@pobox.com> wrote in message news:7eo9t0l8authslp50fgv9ca7g19h6lh1l8@4ax.com...
> Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the image quality between the Epson
> R800 and 2200?

Such a review can be found here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epso...

It compares the R800 and 2100 (same printer as the 2200).

The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
as well.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:39:01 PM

<< The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
as well. >>

Does the R800 use dye or pigment based inks?

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:39:02 PM

"Conrad Weiler" <weil91@aol.com> wrote in message
> << The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
> problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
> as well. >>
>
> Does the R800 use dye or pigment based inks?
>
> Conrad

The answer is in the review:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epso...

Mark
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:39:02 PM

On 31 Dec 2004 12:39:01 GMT, in rec.photo.digital weil91@aol.com (Conrad
Weiler) wrote:

><< The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
>problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
>as well. >>
>
>Does the R800 use dye or pigment based inks?

Pigment.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
December 31, 2004 6:36:29 PM

Conrad Weiler wrote:
> << The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
> problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
> as well. >>
>
> Does the R800 use dye or pigment based inks?
>
> Conrad
>

> Conrad Weiler
> Camp Sherman, Oregon

Pigment.

The slightly wider gamut comes from a different set of Ultrachrome inks.
The R800 does not have light cyan and light magenta. Instead it uses Red
and Blue inks.

Don't forget that the R800 is only an 8.5" wide printer.

I love mine.

Clyde
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 12:57:00 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:59:34 -0800, "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-dollars@pobox.com> wrote in message news:7eo9t0l8authslp50fgv9ca7g19h6lh1l8@4ax.com...
>> Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the image quality between the Epson
>> R800 and 2200?
>
>Such a review can be found here:
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epso...
>
>It compares the R800 and 2100 (same printer as the 2200).
>
>The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
>problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
>as well.

Thanks, that review was helpful. Since I'm currently not planning to do many
prints larger than 8x12 it would not be much of a problem to send the occasional
larger print out to a lab. And in the future, who knows, perhaps Epson will
pass along the r800's technology to its older big brothers.

I was ready to pick one up yesterday but none of the local places had it in
stock. Hmmm, I wonder if that's an omen? <g>

Ben
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:54:24 AM

"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-dollars@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:59:34 -0800, "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> >"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-dollars@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the image quality between
the Epson
> >> R800 and 2200?
> >
> >Such a review can be found here:
> >http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epso...
> >
> >It compares the R800 and 2100 (same printer as the 2200).
> >
> >The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
> >problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
> >as well.
>
> Thanks, that review was helpful. Since I'm currently not planning to do
many
> prints larger than 8x12 it would not be much of a problem to send the
occasional
> larger print out to a lab. And in the future, who knows, perhaps Epson
will
> pass along the r800's technology to its older big brothers.

They already have: it's called the PX-G5000. (Only in Japan so far, though.)

By the way, my _suspicion_ is that the R800 renders detail better than the
2200, simply because the droplet size is a lot smaller. I don't have a 2200,
but the R800 prints are really lovely in terms of detail. And the gloss
optimizer really works well: much less bronzing than even the earlier Epson
dye-ink based inkjets.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:54:25 AM

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 00:54:24 +0900, in rec.photo.digital "David J.
Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:

>They already have: it's called the PX-G5000. (Only in Japan so far, though.)
>
>By the way, my _suspicion_ is that the R800 renders detail better than the
>2200, simply because the droplet size is a lot smaller. I don't have a 2200,
>but the R800 prints are really lovely in terms of detail. And the gloss
>optimizer really works well: much less bronzing than even the earlier Epson
>dye-ink based inkjets.

I believe you mean pigment based, not dye.

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 00:54:24 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:

>"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-dollars@pobox.com> wrote:

>the Epson
>> >
>> >Such a review can be found here:
>> >http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epso...
>> >
>> >It compares the R800 and 2100 (same printer as the 2200).
>> >
>> >The R800 produces much better glossy blacks (no bronzing
>> >problems like the 2200) and has slightly better color gamut
>> >as well.
>>
>> Thanks, that review was helpful. Since I'm currently not planning to do
>many
>> prints larger than 8x12 it would not be much of a problem to send the
>occasional
>> larger print out to a lab. And in the future, who knows, perhaps Epson
>will
>> pass along the r800's technology to its older big brothers.
>
>They already have: it's called the PX-G5000. (Only in Japan so far, though.)
>
>By the way, my _suspicion_ is that the R800 renders detail better than the
>2200, simply because the droplet size is a lot smaller. I don't have a 2200,
>but the R800 prints are really lovely in terms of detail. And the gloss
>optimizer really works well: much less bronzing than even the earlier Epson
>dye-ink based inkjets.
>
>David J. Littleboy
>Tokyo, Japan

Thanks for the heads up about the Px-G5000. Just saw a preview of it on
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/px-g...
It will probably not be in the United States until spring. Unfortunately, I
don't think that I can hold off that long. :-(

Ben
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:54:26 AM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 00:54:24 +0900, in rec.photo.digital "David J.
> Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:
>

>>They already have: it's called the PX-G5000. (Only in Japan so far, though.)
>>
>>By the way, my _suspicion_ is that the R800 renders detail better than the
>>2200, simply because the droplet size is a lot smaller. I don't have a 2200,
>>but the R800 prints are really lovely in terms of detail. And the gloss
>>optimizer really works well: much less bronzing than even the earlier Epson
>>dye-ink based inkjets.
>

> I believe you mean pigment based, not dye.

I beleive David meant what he wrote!

We'll soon find out.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:21:42 GMT, in rec.photo.digital John McWilliams
<jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 00:54:24 +0900, in rec.photo.digital "David J.
>> Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:
>>>optimizer really works well: much less bronzing than even the earlier Epson
>>>dye-ink based inkjets.
>>

>> I believe you mean pigment based, not dye.
>
>I beleive David meant what he wrote!

Having a 1270 and a R800 I can't see how that is the case, as I never
experienced any bronzing with the dye based inks off my 1270. Now, prints
off my R800 on the Epson Photo Paper sold at Costco has been less than
impressive showing a muddying of dark shadows. This is not seen with the
same print on HWM paper.

See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:26:38 AM

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
> John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> I believe you mean pigment based, not dye.
> >
> >I beleive David meant what he wrote!

That I did, but I should have mentioned the model numbers of the printers I
was referring to.

> Having a 1270 and a R800 I can't see how that is the case,

My experience with the 950 and 970 was that at low angles, you could see
different reflectivities off the surface of areas of different color. The
R800 does noticeably better than those printers _with the paper I'm using_.

> as I never
> experienced any bronzing with the dye based inks off my 1270. Now, prints
> off my R800 on the Epson Photo Paper sold at Costco has been less than
> impressive showing a muddying of dark shadows. This is not seen with the
> same print on HWM paper.

There's no need to use Epson paper. The glossy paper sold under the Konica
name in Japan was rated the best glossy paper by a review in a Japanese
magazine, and I found it to be noticeably nicer than the Epson glossy paper
sold here. (Not much use to folks here, since the papers are probably made
by third parties and show up under different names in the US/whereever, if
they show up at all.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
!