Something is wrong but don't know what... help

LowItalian

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Ok so a while ago my mother board died on my PC. I bought a computer off a friend to salvage parts and i mixed and matched the best parts between our computers to make a new computer.

Anyway it's running way slower than it should and I can't think of why.

What I've done:
-reinstalled the drivers for the mobo(probably at least 5x now). I tried the ones from MSI's website and then I downloaded the ones from nVidias website for the chipset. I tried them both seperately and it didn't work

-using CPUz i noticed the RAM timings are different than what is stated on the sticks. It was 5-5-5-15 and the sticks call for 4-4-4-12.

I have a feeling it's a setting in the BIOS giving me problems because i had to clear the CMOS when i first booted up the machine as it wouldn't recognize the USB mouse and keyboard.

What else could it be???? Here are screen shots which might give you guys a few clues.

CPeBj.png

XIOZN.png

cp0wb.png

lMS3C.png

4cSaN.png

LowItalian

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

Thermaltake 750 watt.

Here's another update.

I took out 2 sticks of RAM and it ran much better with two. (still doesn't seem right though) . Hen I powered it down, cleared the CMOS, popped in the two sticks of RAM again. Now its running @800mhz like it should and much better, but still feels off a bit. Webpage aren't scrolling smoothly for example and the CPU is still running hot.

When I get home I am gonna take off the stock cooler and put on a fresh application of artic silver and put on an after market cooler I have laying around the house.

Do you think a CPU running at 70 celcius could show a degradation in performance?

Please toss out more ideas, in not totally confident this cooler is going to fix this. Especially considering this board/chip/cooler worked fine before I mixed and matched parts.