Random power offs

tedsomango

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hi there So i have installed all the nessesary parts and pieces i have not installed all of the Mobo software yet, but i have installed the operating system,
Once when i was checking on the bios, i had the system shut off, and once when i was watching a you tube video and downloading the drivers for my video card from amd's website...

Is it a short in the system, oh yeah and my light for my mouse never turns off..

I3 530
asus eah5770
4 gb dd3
600watt power supply cosair
windows 7 64 bit

Fans are all rolling away fine and system at 90 F

tell me what you think i will be real interested to know.

Solution
Oh, and your temps will vary according to the ambient temp in the room. On a warm day under full load 60C is OK. Idle temps in the 30s tonight should probably be fine. I'm guessing you are a bit cooler out there.
Hi again,

Windows 7 at default settings likes to install updates and restart without asking. When this happens you get a quick notification though, and you see the shutdown screen. You can change that setting to ask before installing.

I'm guessing that's not it. I see you have had some hassles getting everything up and going. Try to take your time and be patient.

When you breadboarded did you check that the pins on the CPU cooler had fully engaged in the holes?

One of the best ways to diagnose this sort of problem is to find a way to MAKE it happen. Every time.

Prime95 is a good way to stress your system. If it's the CPU or board causing this while under stress you will know quickly. A quick download, small file:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Monitor your temperatures using this program while you run Prime95:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Other things to try would be to run memtest from a boot disk:
http://www.memtest.org/

You can order up a little speaker real cheap:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

tedsomango

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

Ran a stress tes for maybe 2 minutes and then it shut down, but the computer was running fantastically before that, even while the stress test, maybe i will try to finish the download on the temp utility before i run it again but it seems what ever it was testing for it slammed it down fast.

tedsomango

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

tmpin0 at 91
tmpin1 running at 77
tmpin2 is running at a wopping 140 F

i dont know what that is but that doesnt sound good

Was that at idle?

That's 60C (we use Celsius) and would be OK (not good) for max but way too hot at idle.

If so there is definitely something wrong with the CPU cooler. Bad install or it's being over-volted... but probably the first thing ;)

Check that the pins have been pushed down all the way so that they fully clicked into place, on the CPU cooler (it's stock right?) if not then re-check once they are.

If they are fully engaged, and the CPU fan is working, then the next step would be removal and inspection... did you remove the film covering the thermal wax? Are there foreign particles in the wax?

You might end up cleaning it off at this stage, then you would have to get some thermal paste to apply.

tedsomango

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

windows is updating right now but another quick question, My mobo manual say that i should only use power plug and only use the 12v plug by the cpu if i have a higher performance chip over 130 watt, now could that that be a case of over volting? the boot up page says that i need to plug that 12v because it is the power supply to the chip.

tedsomango

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

60 c on both cores still i think i will have to clean and then get some new paste thats idle temp

tedsomango

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

cleaned paste off the chip, there was some left on the hsk, smeared it around, then replaced the fan temps started around 31 c climbed to 48 but now back down again. My question is, what should my temp be and should i look for a different hsk or just replace the paste when i have the chance??

I wouldn't use too much less than the stock amount of the wax they give you with that cooler. It's not really like the thermal grease you buy.

With the grease, you only need a very small amount.

Most of the ceramique types work fine. MX-2 is popular, as is TX-2. I'm using OCZ Freeze currently.

Arctic Silver 5 is very popular because it's been around so long, but it has a long cure time and a rather short life span after.

You only need to replace the cooler if you are overclocking.