P8P67 Deluxe Rebooting Randomly

JAGinAZ

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
A friend of mine just purchased the identical motherboard I purchased 6 months ago... on a recommendation from me: the Asus P8P67 Deluxe. I've loved this MoBo and haven't had a single issue with it (until a recent BIOS update which I mention in a another post.)

But the issue he is experiencing with his board is when he powers on the computer, the lights all turn on and the fans spin up, but 2 seconds later, everything goes dark for a couple seconds before starting back up again and booting normally. Sometimes it even does the cycle 2-3 times before finally actually booting up... though this is a rare occurrence.

What's making me post this is I just updated the BIOS on my motherboard to the latest version (1850)... and immediately after doing so, I experienced the power-on, power-off, power-on cycle he's been getting with his new system. It's only happened once so far... but it was worrying enough for me to post this here.

Is there a known issue with the latest ASUS BIOS updates? He was on version 1503 experiencing the power cycle while I was on 1003 NOT getting the power cycle. Now that I've updated to 1850, I get the cycle occasionally too.

If it is the BIOS updates, is there a way to downgrade back to the older version?

Thanks! :)

-JAG

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
The double post issue has been a problem with the P8P67 series. Many have had it and have been able to fix it easily by clearing the CMOS. This hasn't worked for everyone though.
There is a way to downgrade the Bios but IDK how, you'll have to search that out if nobody else chimes in.
Bios 1850 was beta on their website a couple of days ago when I saw it. Previous versions on their site listed as beta were pulled off shortly after. I'd be leary about using beta bios versions. That said I was tempted to use this version because someone else posted it solving a different problem for them that I noticed I had gotten when my replacement P8P67 PRO rev3 was installed.
Clearing the CMOS is as easy as moving a jumper and removing the watch style battery on the Mobo for a couple minutes. Read the manual for exact instructions and locations of the jumpers and battery. The ASUS manual is very good.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have this issue on my P8P67 Pro sometimes, too... also after upgrading to 1850. About donwgrade: can't you just flash an earlier version of BIOS through Asus BIOS Update in the AI Suite II? Another weird thing about 1850 is that it dropped my CPU temps by 10-15 degrees Celsius as compated to 1503.

So, clear CMOS, you say... I'll try this. But 1850 is NOT listed on Asus website as beta.

JAGinAZ

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Odd that you mention temps... when I upgraded, I noticed an INCREASE in temps... so much so that heat warnings are now going off on boot up. CoreTemp software in Windows 7 shows around idle at around 40-50c with a load of 65c-70c... but in BIOS the CPU temp is listed at around 80c.

Also apparently his reboot issue has now apparently extended to inside of windows. The computer will randomly reset for no reason at all. It happens when attempting to boot into windows or even when just sitting idle at the desktop. He'll suddenly find the computer back at the initial ASUS logo screen and rebooting.

His is a new build, put together just a couple days ago... i7-2600k, P8P67 Deluxe, 12gb (3x4gb) Kingston DDR3-1600 Memory, Geforce GTX 570 Video Card, 750w Modular Corsair PSU. Any ideas why it would just randomly restart?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^ Luckily, I don't get that. I'd run memory test and make sure everything is connected properly... can it be an OS issue (hardware non-related)?

I have a question for you: when you reboot your PC, via Reset button or Windows option or after saving new BIOS settings... how does it reboot? I have this weird thing: when I reboot, sometimes it reboots properly (i.e. shuts down OS, blanks the screen, goes to POST and boots again) and sometimes it shuts down completely and then powers itsefl back on in a few seconds. Does it happen to you or your friend?

JAGinAZ

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
That has happened a couple times... I believe that's the double POST issue previously discussed in action. It POSTs, then powers off and POSTs again. It's only happened to me once since my 1850 BIOS upgrade, but my friend gets it all the time.

kong911

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011