Your question

Computer Not Working

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2010 2:06:36 AM

I just built a new computer, and it doesn't work.

Idk what went wrong, it makes noise and the fans and hard drives spin, but it gives no output

It doesn't reach POST so no beeps, the CPU does not heat up, and when I first put it together, I accidently started it with the CMOS jumper in the on position, which may be the cause, so I tried everything from reseting CMOS again and even removing the battery for about an hour than trying it again. I also tried it on the onboard card with no success.

I have an AMD Athlon II X2 255 for an AM3 socket that runs at 3.1 GHz and requires 65 W

A 1 GB stick of DDR2 RAM by Patriot

A Coolmax V600 600 W PSU

An ATI Radeon x800 PCI-E 16x

I don't know the exact model number of my Motherboard, all I know is that it's a MSI with an AM2+ socket and it was somewhere between $50-70

I know the PSU and Video Card work, but I'm not sure about any of the other hardware, any way I can test it to see what's broken?

More about : computer working

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2010 2:12:10 AM

Eeew bad PSU. Don't buy those. How do you know it works? The presence of power does not mean it's within the range the MB and CPU need to run.

Here is the list of things to check. Read the second one very carefully.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

m
l
August 26, 2010 2:49:33 AM

Well I used it on a different computer and it worked fine. I have the 4-Pin plugged in and there is no 8-Pin on my motherboard. I also don't have enough mounting pins to fully mount it but I have enough in that it stays in place and none are in the wrong spot. I think the PSU is good enough to power everything on here but idk for certan.
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2010 3:04:24 AM

Ok I think I figured it out... I don't think my MB supports AM3 even though it's an AM2+ socket
m
l
August 26, 2010 3:07:48 AM

Coolmax doesn't send their units out for serious review usually because they fail when they do:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
You might find someone with a multi-meter and no clue that gave yours a pass, but none of the serious reviewers have seen one. It has no active PFC, a bad sign... At a guess I would say it's OK at lower wattages.

I'm just taking the time to educate. We don't know that the PSU is the issue, we can't know without equipment you don't have or need. That's a good reason to always buy a good PSU right there ;) 

I'll shut up about that and move on though. You should follow the rest of that troubleshooting link carefully. It's something that has been worked on very hard for a long time, and it's exactly what most of us would check, step-by-step. Don't ignore the breadboarding step either.

All your answers are there really, when you are getting nothing at all. Beyond that a good speaker might help
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

And beyond that you'll have to swap out parts like the MB and CPU.
m
l
August 26, 2010 3:08:47 AM

Heh, well ya that would do it too ;) 
m
l
!