Sign in with
Your question

HD 4850 Stopped working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2010 1:16:05 AM

So on April 20th, I bought a new FANLESS Gigabyte HD4850 1GB DDR3 from newegg.com base on the reviews here. (Fanless is important to me, since it's in my living room)

The Card rocked!! FPS on the games I use (Mainly GTA4) went thru the roof, and vastly increased my playing enjoyment.

Anywhoo, I play a for about an hour yesterday (day 90 of purchase) and reboot the computer after I'm done. Yea... the computer never came back on. Specifically the video card never comes back on. The computer boots fine, and you can tell that the computer is on. (NO POST beeps saying video card is dead)

I shut the computer off for about 12 hours, and the video still never com back on. I popped open the case and put my old video card back in and it fired up like a champ.

Of course, it's after hours at Newegg, so I can't contact them, but it appears it's a 30 day warrenty anyways. Gigabyte's website is less help, and refers me back to NewEgg for warrenty terms.

So is the card dead? Anything I can do to try and fix it? I was connected via DVI-D, I switched to VGA, but that had no affect.

I really liked the card, and I paid for 120 bucks for it.

What's out there that's comparable to it in a fanless out there? So far the only thing I've found is:
PowerColor SCS3 AX5750 1GBD5-S3DH Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 for $150
and
GIGABYTE GV-N98TSL-1GI GeForce 9800 GT 1GB Silent Cell 256-bit GDDR3 for $130.

Of course, I still would like for the HD 4850 to work again.

***UPDATE***
Adding computer information, since it's very important.

MB: ASUS P5Q PRO
CPU E8400
PS: ANTEC Neo HE430
Old Video card GeForce 7600GT 256MB
Antec Case, with intake and outtake fan

More about : 4850 stopped working

July 22, 2010 4:59:45 AM

It sounds like the card is fried. What sort of cooling did you have for it? Running a GPU without a fan is asking for it to fry, especially when gaming.
m
l
July 23, 2010 1:17:14 AM

Well lucky me, I contacted Gigabyte, and It has a 3 year parts, 2 year labor warranty.
I just have to pay return shipping. Since I still have my old video card, I can afford to wait the two or three weeks on the turn around time.

Buwish, the card is designed to be fanless
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 6:09:26 AM

Quote:
Buwish, the card is designed to be fanless

You're correct, however the case needs airflow to remove hot air from components.

Imagine doing a workout in an enclosed glasshouse.

Good luck.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 7:22:22 AM

HD4850 is a HOT card, plus your card is fanless, it can get hot (overheating) so easily...
You are a gamer but use a fanless card, that's not gonna work, trust me.
m
l
!