First time using multiple storage devices*HELP*

soybeanpaste

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I recently purchased an intel 330 240gb ssd and should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I am currently using a western digital cav black hdd. I have a Seagate hdd also that I used in my old q6600 build a while back and I have some files on their that I'd like to transfer over to my caviar black. I have an operating system installed on both hdd and don't know how to go about setting everything up once I get my ssd in the mail tomorrow.

Here is what I had in mind.....
-I get the ssd in the mail tomorrow.
-I take out my western digital hdd from my computer.
-I install the ssd into my computer.
-I install a fresh copy of Windows 7 ultimate 64bit onto ssd.
-I install all updates / drivers / programs
-I install my western digital hdd and my old seagate hdd into my computer.

Now I get am confused at this point...

All 3 devices will have an operating system..

How do I make it so it boots with the ssd?

Let's say I successfully get it to boot with the ssd while the other 2 hdd's are installed; Will I be able to go into "mycomputers > localdisk" and just drag files from one hdd to another?

There is more I want to know but I do not know how to properly ask the questions. Hopefully someone understands what I am trying to get at.

Thank's in advance for any help.

That's exactly what you do. Be sure the SSD is the only connected drive when installing windows. Install all updates and drivers and get it working well, then install the other drives. Now boot into your bios and set the SSD as the first boot device. Boot your computer. The two old drives should show up in "my computer" and you can just drag/drop files from one drive to another. To get rid of the old windows, just delete the windows folders on both old hard drives. You may also want to get rid of the hidden page files on the old drives.

You may have to take ownership of the old drives/folders if it won't allow you to delete files from the old drives.

http://techfleece.com/2011/05/15/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-or-folders-or-an-entire-hard-drive/

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
You can also manually edit the boot sequence to make sure you don't have issues with any other OS drives.

Once you're in Windows, open the "Run" prompt ("Win + R") and type "msconfig".
That will give you access to your boot sequence so you can adjust it accordingly.