Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need System ASAP

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2010 2:55:26 AM

First off my computer committed suicide in easiest terms and is now in the trash. Second I need one at my usage at all times. Third I have $250-$300 to spend on a new build, prebuilt, refurbished.

Information

I use the internet and listen to music more than anything. However I do a lot of downloading and installing. I would like the ability to upgrade the system to not be stuck in the past 1 month after I get it. I don't want Dell under any circumstances. I would prefer a hdd with 120-500 GB , could care less of the in between. Need DVD/CD Burner. Don't need, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, usb port, ethernet cable.

I hope that is enough information for everyone to help me out. If not just reply back, asking whatever questions are need.

Signed

hiddengamer775
poweroutage775-xbox live gametag

or email me

hiddengamer775@yahoo.com
dark_clown_775@yahoo.com

More about : system asap

August 26, 2010 6:06:05 AM

Please delete your Email ID. One can always us PM's to contact.

I don't think a 250 dollar prebuild will have much room to upgrade what with DDR2 & everything.

Either you spend a bit more for future upgradeability, or use this system for the next few years & then get a new one.

So what's it gonna be?
m
l
August 26, 2010 11:06:27 PM

I will spend a bit more, now do you have anything that can help me out with this dilema?
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2010 11:15:47 PM

you will not be able to build a functional gaming pc for under around 500, i say this because building is the cheapest way to do things. Unless you can find a retard on kraigslist selling a god comp for cheap
m
l
August 27, 2010 2:36:13 AM

That Sempron CPU is a single core processor. When the world is moving towards quad-core systems from dual-cores, I thing budget buyers should look at dual-cores at least.

I'll come back with some recommendations in a while.
m
l
August 27, 2010 3:09:12 AM

Refurbished - ASUS Essentio CS5111-AP008 Pentium dual-core E5200(2.50GHz) 4GB DDR2 640GB Intel GMA X3500 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Much better specs than the HP you linked & Within your budget ($280).

In any case, the HP you linked is de-branded & HP will not honor any warranty. Also, it doesn't come with an Operating System & you'll have to spend money on that, unless you know how to get Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7600) from a certain Swedish website for free.

If HP debranded is ok by you - Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6GHz 2GB 640GB DVD±RW - No OS once again.

AMD Athlon II system - eMachine ET1331G-05W Refurbished Desktop PC- $300, but not much better than the other two in terms of specs. (Windows pre-loaded)
m
l

Best solution

August 27, 2010 3:50:57 AM

On the other hand, if you wanna build your own system, for only slightly more, you'll get a brand new system, that will last you the best part of the next decade with a minor 100 odd dollar upgrade 3/4/5 years from now.

CPU : $50 AMD Athlon II X2 240

Mobo : $40 BIOSTAR MCP6P3 AM3

Much better Mobo for $10 extra : $50 MSI 740GM-P25 AM3

RAM : $75 OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD : $43 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 320GB

ODD : $20 LG SATA 22X DVD Burner

Case + PSU : $50 Rosewill MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with 1x 120mm Fan, 450W Power Supply

Total cost - Only $290 (with the better mobo) + 20 odd bucks shipping. This brand new system would decimate those refurbished systems anyday, with huge future upgradeability.

Assembling a comp is not at all difficult if you do just a little research on the net. Get your Windows 7 OS from the net for free & you're good to go.

PC building guide - maximumpc.com

You Tube Videos - youtube.com

Tom's Hardware guide - tomshardware.com

You really should build your own brand new one. You've no idea how much better this one's gonna be.

(Yes guys, I am an unapologetic DIY fanboy - JIC you were wondering :)  )
August 27, 2010 1:49:34 PM

Well thanks for the help, the only help I need now is to ask where to get the OS, and how to burn the image onto a disk.
m
l
August 27, 2010 2:35:40 PM

You should legally download "Imgburn" from their official website. Now officially, I'm gonna assume you're talking 'bout Ubuntu 10.04, when you're talking 'bout an "OS".

Choose "create image from files" to create an ISO image of the downloaded software. Then once the image is created, choose the "write image file to disk" option.

Once that's done, you'll have a bootable DVD & you're good to go.
m
l
August 27, 2010 6:14:20 PM

Best answer selected by hiddengamer775.
m
l
August 29, 2010 3:30:35 AM

Yup no problem. Oh yeah, sorry for your waste of time, but I called a computer store today and they are going to build me a custom computer. Making it upgradable for the future, full tower, and some of they things I really need for about $300.
m
l
August 29, 2010 7:25:14 AM

No problem, but more than a full tower (I'm using a mid- tower in a i7 930 system) you really need the specs. Try if you can somehow get something very similar to the config I gave you.
m
l
!