Sign in with
Your question

9800gtx crashing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2010 2:23:58 AM

Ok, So I've had this problem for a while now, I had a lot of help in the homebuilt section. But now that I know a little more about what is going on, I figured I would seek some more help.

So my computer will boot up in a few different ways:
-The most common, it will boot up while the screen has a bunch of graphical glitches, like redish and blueish lined either going across horizontally or vertically. I try and look at my video card driver but it will appear "not working" and when I right click on the desktop, there's no Nvidia control panel.

-Happens quite often but not as much as the above scenario. I boot up my computer, and it looks normal. I will either get to the desktop or load up a game to play before it crashes and the graphic glitches(like from the above scenario) appear. I am forced to hard boot.

-Quite rare this one is. My computer boots up normally and plays games normally. I have no problems until the next day when I boot up my computer it'll start crashing again. I really don't have a clue why it does this. iIt needs to make up it's mind, is it broken? or is it working?

Ive, tested other ram and another PSu and both still crashed in the same manner. I've tested a radeon 9200(lol) and it never crashed. I just can't play $%&* with that thing. which leads me to believe it's the video card that is causing the crashing.

Up until a few days ago, my computer wouldn't crash for at least a month. Although it would crash before that month like it is now.

I figured it was an overheating issue, I still kinda do. I've been blowing a box fan into the side of my case to keep my gpu temps to about 60-75 while in a game. Without the fan, I've seen it go up to 80 degrees idling.

Today, my friend came up with a decent idea. To underclock my video card. I downloaded nTuner and set each clock speed to about 60% of stock. And I also noticed that my video card fan speed was set to 10%... I bumped that up to 75%+ and looked at temps again. about 50 degrees idle, with a fan blowing into my case. I ran Furmark, put some major stressors on, msaa x16 etc. never went above 65 degrees. about 5 minutes later, I crashed while multitasking windows. And here I am now.

Ive, tested other ram and another PSu and both still crashed in the same manner. I've tested a radeon 9200(lol) and it never crashed. I just can't play $%&* with that thing. which leads me to believe it's the video card that is causing the crashing.

So, I'm basically wondering what you guys could say is wrong with my video card, or ways to remedy it(preferably a way that would allow me to keep my current hardware).

System:
Windows 7 Professional x64
Asus m2ne sli Motherboard
Athlon 64 x2 6000+
COOLMAX CUG-700B 700W ATX12V v2.2 (I know, that's not a good PSU.)
Geforce 9800GTX (with the newest driver)
Kingston dual channel 2 gb RAM(I don't remember the clock speed)
Really bad case for air flow.

Sorry for the long read.

More about : 9800gtx crashing

July 25, 2010 10:57:40 PM

Bump, Still having this problem.
May 22, 2012 9:52:01 AM

bake your card. i had this problem with my gtx 280 and my 9800gtx. take it apart, take the case off and a heatsink off. clean it up. put the oven at 400 and let it heat up. face the card upwards, level on balls of foil so its not just sitting on the pan. leave it in there for 8 minutes, then let it coold down for an hour. put new paste, put it in your machine and enjoy. this works by remelting microfractures in the solder. did this about 6 months ago, and the cards run perfectly fine now.
!