Sign in with
Your question

Why do graphic cards need a power supply?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2010 2:38:59 AM

Ok, I know this kinda starts off like a dumb question, but my inquiry is, after spending months trying to find the right combination for PSU and card, I started thinking, why can't like graphic cards come with something like a transformer you can plug in directly into the wall outlet, like it's own private little supply unit. It would help a lot when wanting to buy a graphic's card without having to change your whole PSU

More about : graphic cards power supply

a c 153 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 2:42:29 AM

Well usually when you buy a good enough PSU it will last you for a VERY long time, once you upgrade if you do it smart you are "set", E.G. my 750TX should last me a while.

The solution you call for is impracticle and I don't even see how it could work correctly.

Finding a good PSU and GPU combination shouldn't be hard at all, if you like we can help.
m
l
a c 365 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 2:49:10 AM

Because you need to convert Alternating Current to Direct Current for the video card to use. Sure you can build a video card with it's own converter, but it will add more cost, umm... probably $40 - $80 to the cost of the card for the additional components, it will be somewhat large taking up 3 slots, and may inhibit airflow.
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 U Graphics card
a c 295 ) Power supply
July 22, 2010 2:50:08 AM

They do have dedicated power supplies that fit into 5.25" drive bays for GPUs but they are usually quite expensive.

Much of the systems in a PSU are the same size whether its a 300W unit or a 1kW unit so you wont end up saving much space by making a separate dedicated unit, however, you do end up with yet another wire running to the computer, and yet another power cord. If you made it like a power brick it would get super hot when it was running at full load, the biggest laptop power supply i have seen is like 150W, some GPUs would need up to 300W power supplies which would generate quite a bit of heat and you run the risk of it heating up and starting fires. The SMPS design used for modern power supplies is fairly efficient, reliable, and cheaper. I bet you would find that a 300W power brick would cost more than a 750W power supply so it wouldnt be worth it for anyone involved.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 3:20:20 AM

I have the e-power 450W Juice Box it was $20+shipping. And it runs the HD4870x2 fine. I didnt have $100 to spend on a 700+W PSU.

It has 2x 6pin PCIe, 2x 8(6+2)pin PCIe and 1x 4 pin/1x 8 pin for ATX12v8pin.

It can run any GPU and Cheap....
m
l
!