Help: SSD Setup on 2/3 bay Laptop

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Okay guys so I got a question to ask. In a few weeks to a few month I will be purchasing a new laptop. I will be looking for a laptop that have two hard drive bays, and may even convert the optical drive space to another hard drive slot. The situation I am in is about how I will be setting up the storage devices.

I plan on getting at least two SSD's. A smaller one for the operating system, and a slightly larger one for applications. Most likely the speeds won't be the same. What I need help is what I should use the faster SSD for. Will the faster SSD be more useful holding the OS, or will it be better holding the applications. If I do go the route of a third SSD for files should that be the faster one or the slowest one? Is it a better idea to have a larger 7200rpm hdd for the files? Is it okay to run a SATA III SSD with a SATA II SSD?

So far the largest HDD I have had on any computer is 320gb for applications, and a 200gb for OS and Files. Photoshop recommends seperate storage devices for OS, Programs, and Files. If I were to use scratch disks is it better to get one HDD? I started researching for a laptop purchase during 2009. I almost bought one the beginning of this semester but decided not to as I switched majors.

Your opinions, knowledge will be very helpful on setting up my first laptop. I'll thank you for reading my post anyways.

Solution

No. A SSD will only boost the performance of a HDD with an O/S installed on it.
There are no performance benefits of using a SSD to cache a SSD.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I would buy a 256 GB SSD for OS and applications, I don't know the benefit of splitting. For additional storage I would go for a 5400 rpm hdd, because of the noise and the vibrations.
The reasons going for one large ssd is that most ssd first reach their maximum performance having at least 256 GB.

No. A SSD will only boost the performance of a HDD with an O/S installed on it.
There are no performance benefits of using a SSD to cache a SSD.

Solution