Solved

Need A Quick Look at an i5-750 System Spec

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 4:49:45 AM

I am about ready to pull the trigger on the following. Please look this over and let me know of any changes / fixes / improvements.

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
MB: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard w/ USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s
Video Card: MSI Military Class 1 GB GDDR3 RAM Twin Frozr Cooler Overclocked Graphics Card N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G OC (I already have this)
Power Supply: XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
DVD Burner: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support
System Drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Questions:
- Are the above items compatible?
- Is there an item that is weaker than the rest (and should be upgraded)?
- Is the above MB overkill? Should I save a few $ and get the GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard?
- I would like 8GB or RAM. What type should I get? Please be specific. I want to be sure to get the right type (and number of cards).
- Do I need thermal paste?
- Will enough SATA cables come to connect the system drive (SSD), three SATA HDDs and the SATA DVD drive?
- Should I get/do I need a CPU cooler? If so, which one?

Thank you for your help.
A.J.

More about : quick 750 system spec

August 26, 2010 5:57:55 AM

Motherboard - Depends on what you plan to do.

RAM - If it's for general usage/Gaming you'll never need more than 4GB (2 x 2).

PSU - With only one GFX card, that PSU is way overkill. Go with a 550 watt one - OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

Case - You do realize, that you wont be needing such an expensive full tower, right? If you want it, I'll say go with it, otherwise it makes a lot of sense to buy a mid tower for $50 and spend the cash on components.

If you can, please post according to this thread. It'll be easier to advise.
m
l
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 3:13:53 PM

Thanks, Calguyhunk. Here goes in the suggested format and with a few more details and tweaks. I look forward to any/all help.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: INSTANTLY! Need to replace a dying system.

BUDGET RANGE: ~$800-$1,000 for the parts listed below

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Web Development (Dreamweaver), PhotoShop CS4, LightRoom 2, Excel, Word, Email. NO Gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, GPU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, amazon.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU, no other real brand preferences

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, but not a key requirement

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Optional

MONITOR RESOLUTION: NA

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None

CURRENT SPEC (PLEASE REVIEW):

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MB: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard w/ USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s

Video Card: MSI Military Class 1 GB GDDR3 RAM Twin Frozr Cooler Overclocked Graphics Card N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G OC (I already have this)

Power Supply: XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

DVD Burner: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

System Drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Questions:
- Are the above items compatible?
- Is there an item that is weaker than the rest (and should be upgraded)?
- Is the above Motherboard overkill? Should I save a few $ and get the GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard?
- I would like 4GB of RAM. What type should I get? Please be specific. I want to be sure to get the right type (and number of cards).
- Do I need thermal paste?
- Will enough SATA cables come to connect the system drive (SSD), four SATA HDDs and the SATA DVD drive?
- Should I get/do I need a CPU cooler? If so, which one would you recommend?

Thank you (again) for your help.
A.J.

PS - I am new to this forum and created an account. I registered but have not received the confirmation email message in the roughly 18 hours since registering - but did receive an email message notifying me of a reply to my post. How can I get the confirmation email message re-sent? Thanks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 26, 2010 3:45:09 PM

Everything above is compatible, but there are definitely some areas that are overkill.

You might consider an i7 for the hyperthreading, my understanding is that it's useful in Photoshop.

Haven't searched for combos, but here's a suggestion:

CPU & Mobo combo- i7-870 & Asus P7P55D-E - $410- has USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0 Gb/s
RAM - 2x G.Skill ECO Series 1600 MHz CL7 4 GB Kit - $103/kit - $206 total - good for overclocking if you choose to go that way.
GPU - already owned
HDD - already owned?
ODD - cheapest SATA DVD drive - $18
PSU - Antec Neo Eco 520W - $60 - the 850W PSU was complete overkill
Case - HAF 922 - $90 - 932's smaller brother, but smaller is really relative. It's still a big case.
OS - Win 7 Home Premium OEM 64-bit - $100

Total: $889 without combos, shipping, or an SSD and with 8 GB RAM. If you only need 4 GB, $786.

If you want an SSD, the best value right now are the SandForce 1200 drives, though the Intel X25-M is still a solid competitor. The OCZ Vertex 2 at $155 is currently the cheapest SF-1200 drive (cheaper than it's budget cousin the Agility 2 today). At 120 GB, the Mushkin Callisto is currently the cheapest, at $260.

The MSI motherboard you picked is complete overkill. Gaming graphics card slots, probably unnecessary.

Did you want 4 GB or 8 GB? Above is configured with 8. Typically 1333 Mhz or 1600 MHz are the best price/performance.

You will not need thermal paste unless you buy an aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler & paste (pre-applied for you) is adequate if you're not overclocking.

5 SATA cables will probably not come with the motherboard. 2-4 are pretty standard.

EDIT: As blackhawk1928 mentions, you could also go with a socket 1366 i7 & motherboard, but that will tend to cost about $100-150ish more than the above build (with 4 GB RAM). CPU is approximately the same, 6 GB RAM will cost about 50% more than 4 GB (somewhat obviously), and socket 1366 motherboards are usually a little more expensive.
August 26, 2010 3:49:07 PM

For the applications you will be using, I'd seriously consider sacrificing the SSD and upgrade to an i7, perhaps one on the 1366 socket so you can get 6GB of ram.
m
l
August 26, 2010 4:18:29 PM

CPU : Core i7 930

Mobo : GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

PSU : Way overkill. 550-650 will do you just fine. OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

Case - Do you really need such an expensive Full-Tower? If you're OK with a Cooler Master mid-tower - COOLER MASTER HAF 922

You will not need an aftermarket cooler or paste till you decide to OC.

Now for the most important part. You'll certainly need more than 4GB of RAM, if you are a pro photo editor. How much, depends on your budget & how many images you've got opened at any 1 point in time.

Personally, I have 6 GB of RAM in my 920 system. I do a bit of special effects and I have files that have maybe fifty, sixty layers. But I don't go too far and I compress my files every once in awhile. But I just wanted to tell you that when you work with a file in Photoshop you really wanna have a good amount of RAM in your system.

6 GB is a starting point. I'll seriously consider getting more, if affordability ain't an issue.
m
l
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 8:18:28 PM

This fantastic!!! I will do more research on your recommendations and come back with more questions tonight (Eastern Time). Off to Litchfield CT to drop off some soccer registrations!

Thanks,
A.J.
m
l
Anonymous
August 27, 2010 11:10:23 PM

Thanks again for the valuable input. I am still evaluating options. One more quick question - I haven't built a PC for a good 7 or 8 years. For this type of build/system, will I need any additional items? Will there be enough SATA cables for 4 HDD + 1 DVD Drive? Do I need any special motherboard mounting hardware or screws? Are there any other cables that I will need?

Thank you for you help.

A.J.
m
l
August 27, 2010 11:59:37 PM

From what I know the mobos come with 2-4 SATA cables so that might be a problem (you need 1 for each drive). If you have some old HDDs you must have the cables. You can look at the newegg mobo pics and see the bundle and count the cables.

You don't need anything else unless you use an after market CPU cooler (you don't need that unless you overclock).

For the build read the mobo manual and:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...

Check out You Tube, lots of videos for building the PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Mx1n7qRTE

I wouldn't buy a SSD now, wait for the new generation.
m
l
Anonymous
August 28, 2010 12:44:52 AM

Thanks a ton, Mosox! I will look at the videos.

You have my attention - what will be different/better/worth the wait in the next generation of SSDs? And, when?

Thanks,
A.J.
m
l
August 28, 2010 1:04:13 AM

+1 for that Lancool + XFX650 combo. Both are quality products.

SSD's are getting cheaper, at a pretty quick pace, especially at the consumer level. They are also starting to move into the Sata 6.0 range, which is definitely a plus. Currently there is only like 1 consumer SSD that is SATA 6.0. The rumors of refresh are pointing to this winter.
m
l
Anonymous
August 28, 2010 1:20:21 AM

Thank you, NeoElemental. I just saw a $99 60GB SSD (OCZ after rebate) on NewEgg. The prices seem to be tumbling on these. Would you think it practical to now get a current generation SSD, use that for this build / new system and then upgrade when the next generation arrives? I have a laptop that would benefit nicely from the 60GB SSD as a hand-me-down at some point.

Thanks,
A.J.
m
l
August 28, 2010 3:08:20 AM

Hey, if you're gonna hand me down it, that's not a bad plan at all. A lot of the $100ish drives aren't really that much better than a fast HD (like any of the raptors or even a quick 7200 drive). In that sense, if it's only worth getting at the 150 price point, I'm fine with waiting for them to come down a bit. Completely a personal preference though. You can check out SSD benchmarks at anandtech to see which SSD's are worth getting. I would say Vertex 2 is the gold standard currently.
m
l
Anonymous
August 28, 2010 4:39:40 AM

Thanks again, Neo. The Anandtech.com site was quite interesting and helpful. Decisions, decisions!!!
m
l
August 28, 2010 4:58:16 AM

I don't think you need such a high end case. The same thing applies to the PSU.

If you want a good cooler, the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is damn good. My i5 750 idles at below 30C.
m
l
Anonymous
August 28, 2010 6:12:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, wort^3. I am adding the Coolermaster 212 to my spec list. While on the topic - do you OC your i5? If so, do you know of any good intro to OC resources?
m
l
September 3, 2010 11:57:12 PM

Best answer selected by ajindy.
m
l
!